UseStructure, interior finish, furnishing
ApplicationsPre-fabricated construction, load bearing
CharacteristicsHigh load bearing, CNC compatible, optimized tongue and groove profile, formaldehyde-free bonded, vapor barrier, airtight, high edge strength
CertificationCE Declaration of Performance DOP-745-01
650 CNC-milled EGGER OSB 4 TOP boards make up the seven-meter tall dome of the Highway Church on the A45 highway in Siegerland, Germany. The church is open 24 hours, 365 days a year and also features the boards for seating, desks, and kneelers, creating a calming atmosphere.
The filigree wooden arch appears as a delicate ribbed structure; each wooden rib was individually CNC milled off-site. Pre-fabrication ensures a shorter assembly time. The construction almost supports itself, only fixings through steel squares are needed.
EGGER OSB boards are multilayer boards with a three-layer structure of micro-veneers or strands, which are approved for load-bearing construction.
- Architect: Michael Schumacher
- Construction period: from 2011 to 2013
- Customer: Autobahnkirche Siegerland
- Fabricator: Ingenieure Bollinger & Grohmann GmbH, Frankfurt am Main
- Awards: American Architecture Prize (gold)
- Material: EGGER OSB 4 TOP, 30 mm