As visitors approach the new EarthCam corporate office, the ALUSION™ Stabilized Aluminum Foamed façade creates a visually striking and dramatically modern look. Upon entering the building through a new Atrium consisting of almost three stories of transparent glass, a 25-foot-tall LED video wall envelopes their visual senses. This along with live streaming camera feeds from around the world and construction time-lapse movies.
EarthCam is the global leader in providing webcam content, technology and services. Founded in 1996, EarthCam exists to encourage exploration, foster discovery and connect people through innovative lcamera technology. The company is headquartered in Northern New Jersey and maintains 12 additional offices worldwide.
- Architects: Davis Brody Bond; Spacesmith
- Façade including Alusion Panels: EarthCam’s Team installed the panel system using custom-designed/manufactured frames mounted to a modified commercial rainscreen framing system.
- Consultants: David L. Kufferman P.E. of Fairfield, CT consulted on structural design.
- Location: Upper Saddle River, N.J.
- Date of Completion: 2018
- Construction System: CMU over a steel frame with curtain wall
- Notable Products: Alusion Stabilized Aluminum Foam cladding design by DBB/Spacesmith and executed by EarthCam’s team, along with custom manufactured LED backlighting.
ALUSION Stabilized Aluminum Foam – ALFG-12.7-LG-2S – Large cell 12.7 mm thick (1/2”)
ALUSION™ for architecture is a versatile and unique material with virtually limitless design and architectural applications. As well as its unique appearance, it has sound-absorbing properties making it ideal for applications requiring both sound absorption and beauty. It is used for exterior or interior wall cladding, ceiling tiles, restaurants, and bars, offices and apartment buildings, cabinets, furniture, showroom displays, flooring, signs, lighting, fixtures, exhibits, or for any application you that you dare to imagine.
The foam creates strong yet lightweight panels that are similar in appearance to a metallic sponge. ALUSION™ is visually striking, with a modern dramatic look. For architecture, it is produced in 12.7mm, 25.4mm, and 43.2mm thicknesses (1/2”, 1” & 1.7”) and three densities (Large Cell. Mid & Small Cell).
The ALUSION™ product is composed of aluminum and contains a ceramic particulate which assists in stabilizing the aluminum cells (bubbles). This is also the reason why it is called “Stabilized Aluminum Foam (SAF)”. The material is flame and corrosion resistant in the same way as aluminum. It is also strain rate insensitive, isotropic, and stable at elevated temperatures. It exhibits acoustic / EMR absorption and vibration damping.
- 100% recyclable, and contains up to 100% recycled content
- Acoustic Absorption Properties
- Non-Combustible with a flame spread of zero
- Highly corrosion resistant
- Colors available
- Luminous aluminum color which can also be powder coated or painted in limitless color choices
- 12.7mm, 25.4mm, 43.2mm Thick (1/2”, 1” and 1.7”)
- Standard panel sizes 1220 mm W x 2440 mm L, 1220 mm W x 3048 mm L, 1220 mm W x 3660 mm L (4’ x 8’, 4’ x 10’, 4’ x 12)
- Custom longer panels also available