The Design Educates Awards recognize, showcase, and promote globally the best ideas and implementations of architecture and design that can educate. The design itself may provide an informative and educational layer that guides us through the increasing complexity of our environment. The objects in our surroundings can communicate important values and guide us through desirable, positive practices.
Each year, the esteemed panel of judges selects the outstanding ideas and implementations in the categories of architectural design, product design, universal design, and responsive design. www.designeducates.com
- Prof. Toyo Itō (Architect, Toyo Ito & Associates, Laureate of the Pritzker Architecture Prize),
- Prof. Alison Brooks (Architect, principal and creative director at Alison Brooks Architects),
- Prof. Farshid Moussavi (Architect, Professor in practice at Harvard GSD, Founder of FMA),
- Hani Rashid (Architect, designer, co-founder of Asymptote, Head of Studio_Hani Rashid),
- Alain Gilles (Art director, product and furniture designer, founder of Alain Gilles The Studio),
- Andrés Reisinger (Artist, director, designer & founder Reisinger Studio),
- David Basulto (Founder, CEO, and editor-in-chief of ArchDaily),
- Enrica Cavarzan, Marco Zavagno (Designers, co-founders of Zaven),
- Hadi Teherani (Architect, designer, founder Hadi Teherani AG),
- Hella Jongerius (Industrial designer, founder of Jongeriuslab),
- Issa Diabaté (Architect, co-founder and managing director of Koffi & Diabaté Group),
- Prof. Jürgen Mayer H. (Architect, artist, founder of J. MAYER H),
- Konstantin Grcic (Industrial designer, founder of Konstantin Grcic Design GmbH),
- Ir. Kristina Bacht (Publishing director, curator, director of AIT-ArchitekturSalons),
- Aidin Ardjomandi (Industrial designer, founder of Ardjou Design Studio),
- Dr. Peter Kuczia (Architect, designer, initiator of the Design Educates Awards).
The full list of juries is presented on the website of the awards.
TitleCall for Entries: Design Educates Awards 2021
TypeCompetition Announcement (Ideas)
Registration DeadlineMarch 02, 2021 11:30 PM
Submission DeadlineMarch 02, 2021 11:30 PM
PriceAvailable at fees is available at the website: www.designeducates.com
The awards are a multidisciplinary call for ideas and implementations in the categories of (1) architectural design, (2) product design, (3) universal design, and (4) responsive design. Deliberation about the entries will consist of two phases: (1) selection of the finalists and (2) selection of winners and laureates of honorable mentions. Entries will be evaluated based on the following criteria: feasible, verifiable, visionary, original, and comprehensive. Participants may submit multiple projects; each entry must be registered separately. There is no limit as to the number of participants per team. Individual entries are allowed. Interdisciplinary teams are encouraged to join. The theme of the awards has been inspired by the research called ‘Educating Buildings’ (‘Bildende Bauten’) by Dr. Peter Kuczia.
The ‘Design Educates Awards’ are open to everyone. The winners, laureates of prizes, honorable mentions, and nominations will be selected in each category: (1) architectural design, (2) product design, (3) universal design, and (4) responsive design. In addition to the general evaluation, the student project with the highest score will be awarded the label of Emerging Designers. Parallel to the jury’s evaluation, representatives of Solarlux will select the laureates of Solarlux Choice. Participants can submit multiple designs in the same category, multiple designs in different categories, or a single design in more than one category, in teams or individually. Winners will be awarded: (1) Certificates for all laureates; (2) Participation in exhibition and award ceremony; (2) Press packages (logotypes & banners); (3) Promotion within the group of Media Sponsors and Media Supporters of the awards (and beyond!); (4) Financial awards for participants of student categories (1250 USD: Winner of Emerging designer, Net values after taxation: 1000 USD).