Architecture is about creating space for human beings. The efforts self-evident and no one would doubt would raise a question on its endeavors. But modern architecture is engrossed in its functionality; presenting all its aspects it further gives way to amazing forms and efficiency in lieu of fundamental architectural value. Therefore, the criterion for judgment for its success and failure relies on data and eye-opening exterior forms. Architecture slowly becomes a machine that has no warmth and introspection. No, rather it strives to resemble a machine.
Breakthroughs in modern technologies in architecture boast itself and claims that nothing is impossible. At present, efforts require lots of manpower; however, in the past, it could be finished with ease.
No man believes in programs and machines rather than human beings. Everything can be converted into numbers. As a result, everyone comes to expect more precise numerical final results. Modern architecture started out addressing social concerns and other significant issues of the period. However, as time passed the issues of social concerns diminished. In its place ubiquity and universality emerged as prevailing inclination. Gratified with the advancements in science and technology, society slowly disregarded the significance of human beings.
Accordingly, human beings are gradually alienated and cities have become drier. Most architects believe good proportion which is the basis of the architecture, which can be achieved through mathematical calculations. But, will it be true? Are the elegant proportions of the Parthenon achieved only through the mathematical talent of the Greeks? If we state that everything comes from the hands, eyes, and keen sense from the master craftsman who has trained for an extensive period of time, it’s now obsolete.
What do we have to revive at the present? What is the most important value we must bring forth to the center? Instead of the unique building forms, materials, and spaces; what values should architecture embrace once more?
"The 33rd Space Prize for International Students of Architectural Design" wants to raise and ask the fundamental and past values towards Architecture and society.
The most important substance of architecture are thoughts and time; and the idea of the human being, the main user, and a sign of the time that humans make in life. The architecture which is governed by efficiency and ruled by economic value may beyond human scale and amazing, it cannot give human convenience and comfort.
It is true especially in residential space where human reside.
This matter occurs in a multifamily housing complex which is an alternate solution to overpopulated cities. Those are constructed to meet the need of modern life style, but it is designed and constructed to meet the provider side's requirement and it creates dried environments continuously. For these environments, the residents shall adapt their body to this space.
These communal residences filled with anonymity and there is no individuality, but only uniformity exist. There are townhouses, one-room type collective houses, shared houses, various residential types are created, but as the efficiency of maintenance, economic value, convenience come first that consideration on human being is always short. Architecture, especially residence shall be a fundamentally a place for humanity, a place for rest, We define that is "Warmth of Architecture" and expect a fresh proposition of New type of Collective Housing.
Lim, Hyoungnam / Roh, EunJoo (Studio GAON)
University / Graduate School (Master) students (students on leave of absence are eligible)
Must be a student status on the day of awarding ceremony
Team composition maybe of three student or less
Grand Prize (1 team) - 7,000,000 Korean Won + certificate of award + Plaque
1st Prize (1 team) - 2,000,000 Korean Won + certificate of award
Award of Excellence (3 team) -1,000,000 Korean Won each. Certificate of award
Honorable Mention / Accepted (10 TEAM) - Certification, 1 year subscription of [SPACE] magazine
Time Line / Submission
Briefing on main theme: 4 PM. May 12. 2020
Entry date: June 1, 2020 ~ August 28, 2020 5 PM (UTC + 09:00)
1st Submission of works: August 31, 2020 - September 25, 2020 5 PM (UTC + 09:00)
1st announcement of the result: October 8, 2020
2nd Submission of works: October 8, 2020 ~ October 22, 2020 3PM(UTC +09:00)
2nd selection and Award Ceremony: October 23, 2020 (Expected)
Exhibition: October 24 ~ 30, 2020
* Schedule and submission may be adjusted.
How to Enter
Register at: www.spaceA.com
Entry fee: 45 USD per team
Entry fee must be payed to complete the registration process. This fee is not refundable. Alteration of content of the registration can be done only in registration period.
* Addition or change of the team member is not allowed after completing registration.
www.spaceA.com Q&A bulletin board (Expected)
email : sg_prize@spaceA.com
[1st submission list]
- 0ne A0 size panel (vertical orientation, single digital file)
- File style and size: *pdf, *jpg etc. under 30MB
- All context must be in English
- Any note, symbol, and sign which can be denoted the entree must not be on the panel
- Submission number and name of the project shall be written in the right of bottom side white box (4 cm x 2 cm)
- Verified submission receipt
- Proof of Enrollment (All team member)
* All Individual(s) or team(s) selected at the end of 1st stage shall attend the final jury session. Materials for publication will be notified separately.
TitleCall for Entries: The 33rd Space Prize, Warmth in Architecture / Humanity
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
Registration DeadlineAugust 28, 2020 07:00 PM
Submission DeadlineSeptember 25, 2020 05:00 PM
Price45 USD per Team
[2nd submittal list]
* Presentation materials
- 20 slides of presentation materials
- File type and size * pptx (including converted pdf file of same contents) under 10MB in size.
*Introduction of work
- Written introduction of the project. A4 format and to exceed more than half page.
Home page (www.spaceA.com)
1. Selection process will be done in 2 stages. All project will be evaluated and selected project will proceed on the next stage. The second and final stage will be further evaluated by the jury member in open evaluation process.
2. Projects that been previously submitted to other competition and plagiarized entries will be automatically disqualified.
3. Violations of the guideline will automatically disqualify the submission during the evaluation process.
4. The sponsor retains the right for exhibitions, publications, copy of the work and distribution right.
5. Submitted work shall not be returned to the participant.