This 12 day design and construction workshop at the AA School in London, teaches a design process which synthesises computational design tools and materials with natural variability such as bamboo, informed though first-hand experience of the material and 1:1 scale bamboo construction.
We need to look at new sustainable, locally available natural materials for construction, and architects need to respond to this challenge and develop new processes to work with natural materials which ensure structural integrity and affordability.
The AA-ITB Bamboo Lab is a collaborative programme of the AA Visiting School and the Institut Teknologi Bandung which explores the fusion of highly advanced computational design software and sustainable natural lightweight materials, to spawn new architectural design methods, develop a new pedagogy, and a portfolio of work which can challenge current policy towards natural materials with variability.
Prominent Features of the workshop/curriculum
• Bamboo construction of 1:1 scale prototypes
• Innovative bamboo joint systems
• Generative design tools (Rhinoceros 3D/Grasshopper)
• Bamboo model making
• Concept design process to consider the practicalities of natural materials
• Lecture series on bamboo material, construction and cutting edge research in the field
• Visits to local architecture studios
Download the information related to this event here.
TitleAA/ITB Advanced Bamboo Design and Construction Summer Workshop
FromJuly 27, 2020 10:00 AM
UntilAugust 08, 2020 04:00 PM
VenueArchitectural Association School of Architecture