Theme: “The Reconstruction of Commons Today”
- The First Prize (1Award) \ 2,000,000yen and Certificate of Merit
- The Second Prize(1Award) \ 500,000yen and Certificate of Merit
- The Third Prize (3Award) \ 100,000yen and Certificate of Merit
- Commendations(2Award) \ Certificates of Merit and prize gift
Eligibility of Entry
1. International Entries are welcome!
2. Applicants must be under-graduate or post-graduate students at universities or at tertiary institutions (on 16 December 2017).
Tertiary institutions include: junior colleges, colleges of technology, and other relevant vocational schools.
3. If selected at the initial jury, the applicant must be available to participate in an open presentation (the final jury) to be held in Tokyo on 16 December 2017 (Saturday).
Transportation and accommodation costs for participation in the final jury will be paid for one person per entry.
Print out the reply email that you receive from the competition office, and affix it to the back of your submission, in the bottom right-hand corner. Write your entry number on the front side of your submission, in the top right-hand corner.
One A2 sized sheet of paper (594mm×420mm), portrait or landscape (Please do not mount on rigid panel.)
Explanatory texts should be included on the sheet, and can be in Japanese or in English. The types of illustrations and the scale of drawings are to be decided by the entrants. Submitted work must be original, and must not have been published previously.
- We require all submissions to be in physical form, and sent to us by mail or courier.
- We do not accept digital submissions sent by email.
- Submissions can be sent rolled, but must not be folded.
- Submissions will not be returned.
Works must be received at Shelter Design Competition Office no later than 18 October.
- Due to the large number of applications, we are unable to individually notify each applicant regarding receipt of their submission.
- Confirmation of receipt and the required time for delivery is the responsibility of the individual applicant.
The initial jury will be held on 28 October 2017 (Saturday) in Osaka. It is possible to see the initial jury on the occasion of the “Under 35 Architects exhibition 2017” at the Umekita Ship Hall Umekita Plaza in Osaka.
The final jury will be held on 16 December 2017 (Saturday) in Tokyo. Judging procedure and announcement of results. A number of works will be selected at the Initial Jury, which will be held on 28 October 2017, and the results of this jury will be announced on this website. The authors of the selected works will be invited to present their works, either in Japanese or in English, at an open-jury (the final jury) held in Tokyo on 16 December 2017 (Saturday). The Jury will decide the first, second and third prizes at the open-jury. The works will be published on The Shelter Corporation's website and in architectural magazines. Please note that it may take time to update the results of the jury on the website.
TitleShelter International Architectural Design Competition for Students 2017
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
Registration Deadline18/10/2017 18:00
Submission Deadline18/10/2017 18:00