We are now accepting applications for our second year of the MFx WORKSHOP. Like last summer, we will have a team of paid, full-time positions available for undergraduate and graduate students to join our crew from June 5 to August 11.
MFx grew out of our interest in being a reflective practice which not only designs and realizes buildings, but aims to learn from our built and unbuilt projects in a critical experimental loop. The “x” is meant to refer to an “extension” of the regular office, one that critically analyzes the work we’ve already completed and explores new trajectories. We’ve found that the enthusiasm and ideas generated by MFx WORKSHOP are just as valuable to the firm’s work as our mentorship is to MFx participants.
Members of this summer’s team will have the opportunity to participate in all phases of the design process, from Pre-Design/Planning to Construction Administration. They will work with Project Architects and may attend construction site visits, participate in design critiques, assist with AutoCAD drawings or Revit models, and create graphic presentations. True to the program’s goals, participants will also be expected to give a presentation of their own design work and, at times, work with some autonomy to forge new directions for the practice in the form of design competitions or installations. We’re looking for like-minded contributors willing to work collectively to expand our body of creative work.
Experiences and Responsibilities May Include (but aren’t limited to):
- Physical model making: Models may be part of the design process, for a client meeting, or for internal documentation
- Drawing/sketching for exploratory and presentation purposes
- Assisting with project drawings in AutoCAD and/or Revit
- Producing renderings through use of V-Ray and Photoshop
- Administrative: digital and physical filing, organizing office, picking-up/delivering items to and from MF office, maintaining office facilities, etc.
- Using Adobe Creative Suite for graphic productions
- Photographing projects and physical models
- Visiting construction sites for observation and documentation
- Contributing to MF Architecture’s blog and social media accounts
- Participating in a Pecha Kucha style presentation of personal work
To be considered for a position in MFx WORKSHOP17, please submit the following to email@example.com with “MFx WORKSHOP17 Application: [first name last name]” in the subject line:
- Digital portfolio PDF demonstrating a selection of your best work and skills from the list above (e.g. model making, sketching, rendering, etc.).
- Resume and cover letter that are concise and well-organized.
- 2 writing samples: These could be academic or personal work, but at least one should be about architecture or design.
- Social Media links (LinkedIn, Instagram, Twitter) – Our firm is highly engaged in the use of social media and likes team members to participate in this effort when possible.
Applications are due by 5pm CST on Tuesday March 7. Interviews will be offered by Friday March 10. Interviews will be conducted between Monday March 13 and Friday March 24. Selected applicants will be notified by Friday March 31.
Applicants from countries outside the U.S. will be considered. Those applicants are responsible for the necessary paperwork and related expenses permitting them to work in the U.S. MF Architecture will provide a letter stating its offer of employment.
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for Applications: MFx WORKSHOP!
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
Submission DeadlineMarch 07, 2017 11:26 AM
VenueAustin, Texas, USA