The artist residency SPOT 13 offers the opportunity to artists from all the world to access the artistic and cultural scene in Cartagena, known by its human heritage (UNESCO) and main cultural and touristic district of Colombia. Cartagena has been the center of Colombian tourism and represents one of the main Colombian cultural heritage from colonial Spanish times.
SPOT 13 has been developed allowing guest artists to immerse in local cultural scene, to have access to local artist practices as well as get to know daily life in Cartagena. Within the frame of the residency programme, artists can develop new work or finalize ongoing work, the only requirement to apply is that the work is created within the following subjects: human rights, slavery, history of Cartagena and Gender subjects. Artists will have access to talks, archive and research material related to the subjects proposed for the residence.
The residency expects to create a conversation between guests artists and allows the creation of a space for dialogue where vision and conception of the proposed themes will have a zone of expression, which will enrich the practice of the artists and will also give them a look onto local artistic practices as well as allow access to the public to different interpretations of Colombian social context.
SPOT 13 takes place once a year, being 2017 its first edition of artist residencies.
The artists will live for 20 days in the building of Hotel Peña’s Boutique (exclusively reserved for the artists while the duration of the residency), where they will be able to create or finalize their work at the time they will access local artistic and cultural scene in Cartagena; while the duration of the residency, artists will have access to talks with practitioners involved in Cartagena’s artistic scene such as art historians, art restorers, curators and art critics.
Jorge Jurado Art Studio will select 12 international artists, whose practice develops around the proposed themes for the residency. The language used for the residency programme is English.
Steps to apply:
- Send the form filled in by 10 February
- Send motivation letter by 10 February
- Send CV by 10 February
- Send portfolio by 10 February
- Pay deposit fee of USD 50 corresponding to subscription and which will be added to the general fee of the residency programme. Payment should be done by 15 February
- Pay the remaining fee of the residency programme by 6 March
- USD 1,250 Shared room (each flat has 2 rooms, there will be 2 bed cabin inside each room)
- USD 1,450 Individual room (single bed room in a 2 room flat)
The fee includes:
- Bed and breakfast for 20 days in a 2 room flat with kitchen, dining room, living room and bathroom. Artists will have space inside the flat to create their work and they will have the rooftop of the building available for free use. The hotel will be exclusively booked for the residency programme.
- Transportation and entrance to main museums (modern Art Museum, History Museum of Cartagena) and main touristic spots in the city
- Production cost of the exhibition
- Vernissage of the exhibition
- Local phone cards
Jorge Jurado Art Studio Jorge Jurado Art Studio is a multidisciplinary space where programs and projects belonging to the cultural and creative industries are managed. We create opportunities for the development of cultural relations through workshops, exhibitions and commercialization of goods and services with a cultural and artistic character. We promulgate the creation and diffusion of the cultural offer, supporting artists, managers and entrepreneurs of cultural projects.
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for Submissions: Artists Residency SPOT 13
TypeCall for Submissions
Registration Deadline10/02/2017 23:30
Submission Deadline15/02/2017 23:30
Price1,250 to 1,450 USD