DBR presents PAUSE a competition in partnership with TED2017 ‘The future you’. This year TED is making the conference more explicitly personal. We are questioning what individual space looks like; the personal and private; the open and closed. How do we design an environment and experience that is nurturing, human, satisfying, and exciting?
DBR is a non-profit school that teaches design and construction as an agent of social change. For the last three years, our students have created unique structures for TEDsters to gather and connect during the conference. Each structure is designed to be upcycled to provide a legacy use in our community and to elevate the TED message.
In complementing the theme of TED, we present PAUSE. The pavilion is about personal reflection. A pause within the forest, within the city. A place to reflect, gather, or interact, the applicant will define the user encounter. To develop an identity of place and experience, but to also recognize and respect the surrounding environment. These are all concerns that should be considered while addressing the design and program requirements. The challenge is to create a space to reflect personally and in the same breath, share that experience with others. A reflection on the past, a moment in the present, and a thought for the future. Can taking a PAUSE and connecting to nature answer the questions that TED is exploring?
• Open to all full-time post-secondary students or young professionals in Architecture, Engineering and Design. Verification of student/graduation status may be requested.
• Both Individual and Team submissions are accepted. However, the winning prize cannot be shared between two or more participants.
January 1st 2017: Submission Deadline
January 2017: Winner Announced
January - April 2017: Design Refinement + Build
April 14th-24th 2017: Winner required in Vancouver
April 24th-28th 2017: TED2017 Conference
• ONE Conference Pass to TED2017.
• Airfare to Vancouver from a North American airport.
• Accommodations will be provided in Vancouver for the 10-day installation period and the duration of the conference.
• Winning design will be built and showcased at TED2017.
HOW TO ENTER
1. Review the DBR | PAUSE Submission Package for more details.
2. Fill out the application form (https://dbr1.typeform.com/to/Jx8oS4).
3. Submit your entry to firstname.lastname@example.org by January 1st, 2017.
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for Submissions: DBR | PAUSE TED2017
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
Submission DeadlineJanuary 01, 2017 11:59 PM
VenueWest Pacific Terrace, Vancouver Convention Centre (VCC)