Attention to all visionary artists, architects, engineers, 3D designers and model makers: Wide Open Arts will host a curated booth of imaginary towers in our upcoming Outsider Art Fair | NYC (Jan 21-24 2016). Submissions are open to all. All received designs that adhere to the dimensional and structural criteria will be evaluated and the best designs will be 3D printed and displayed in the curated space at the Outsider Art Fair NY 2016. The project and space will be curated by independent artist and curator, Leah Gordon.
We are in search of contemporary, modern and ancient towers; industrial or religious; fantastical or utilitarian; brutalist or gothic…from air traffic control towers to bell towers to tower blocks and sky scrapers.
Imaginary cities and surreal structures have long been the domain of many outsider artists. This exhibition aims to create a collective multi-authorial installation that has its roots in the Fluxus mail art movement. “Babel” is the 21st century mail art for the digital world. The final result will recall many renowned outsider environments such as Simon Rodia’s Watts Towers, Nek Chand’s Rock Garden and Le Facteur Cheval’s Palais Idéal.
Selected artists will receive documentation of the final display, a digital image of their individual tower once it has been printed, along with visibility and acknowledgement on a dedicated page on the Outsider Art Fair website.
1. A 3D CAD file exported as STL
2. A title
3. The rationale behind your design in no more than 250 words.
The design must fit into one of 4 bounding boxes and you must specify which bounding box it is designed for on submission. Keep in mind that for economic reasons we will be printing more of the smaller towers than the bigger designs.
A - 3.5 x 3.5 x 12 cm
B - 5.5 x 5.5 x 15 cm
C - 8 x 8 x 25 cm
D - 12 x 12 x 30 cm
2. A tower cannot have details with thicknesses less than 3mm across.
3. Towers should be designed to avoid support material, two considerations are "max overhang angle" and "max bridge length"
Imagine your model is being 3D printed from the bottom-up, in 1000+ layers. Each layer has to be printed on-top of a layer beneath it. With this image in mind, Towers should be designed to avoid the need for support material, two considerations are "max overhang angle" and "max bridge length".
• An overhang is when a layer extends outward, potentially unsupported, over the previous layer. PLA prints can achieve an angle of 68 degrees from vertical without supports.
• A bridge is when a layer prints in the air between two pillars. PLA prints can achieve a two-inch bridge without needing supports.
If you design within these limitations, your tower will be printed flawlessly! Note that if your tower requires significant support material or cleaning, it may not be selected, or printed. We will do our best to inform you if there are any issues with your design, but due to the size of this project, we cannot guarantee a response.
4. Towers in categories C & D should be designed to be cut in half, printed in two pieces, and added together. Please submit these as two separate pieces, split such that either pieces is 150mm in height, or less.
Email your application to email@example.com and firstname.lastname@example.org as a link that can be downloaded (dropbox, google drive or other) including:
- The 3D CAD designs exported as .STL files
- PDF file with your Name, Title, Email, Bounding Box Category and your text in no more than 250 words.
Name of file Requirements:
BABEL_YOURFIRSTNAME_YOURLASTNAME_PROJECTTITLE_BOUNDINGBOXLETTER (ie A, B, C or D)
The printing will be done by Voodoo Manufacturing at their factory in Brooklyn, NY.
The online application process is now open and closes at mid-night GMT on Tuesday, December 15th, 2015. You will be informed whether or not your work has been accepted by Sunday, January 10th, 2016.
The Outsider Art Fair takes place Jan 21st – 24th, 2016 at the Metropolitan Pavilion, 125 W 18th St, New York, NY 10011
The towers will be for sale at the Outsider Art Fair to help cover printing costs.
All this information can also be found at:
TitleOpen Call - Collective 3D Print Installation
TypeCompetition Announcement (Ideas)
Submission DeadlineDecember 15, 2015 08:01 PM