AA Istanbul Visiting School is beginning an exciting collaboration with Istanbul Bilgi University in 2015. Continuing its expertise on generative design methodologies and large-scale prototyping techniques, the programme will investigate patterns of emergence, differentiation and complexity in natural formation processes, which will then be transformed into digital simulation platforms for design purposes. In contemporary architectural processes, a significant diversion from linear parametric tools towards generative design simulations is taking place. The design and analysis processes will reflect this shift by focusing on simulations, whereby attention will be focused on the process of design generation as opposed to the final form itself. The design agenda of the programme will revolve around the design and fabrication of a one-to-one scale pavilion.
The programme will take place from Monday, June 15 to Wednesday, June 24 and is formulated as a two-phase process:
Stage 1: Participants will gain an understanding of formation processes in nature, coupled with core concepts related to complexity. During this stage, basic and advanced tutorials on generative design algorithms and analysis tools will be provided. Building on its core methodology from its previous versions, AA Istanbul VS will perform as a team-based workshop promoting collaboration and research. Participants will be introduced to advanced fabrication techniques.
Stage 2: Participants will propose design interventions based on the skills and knowledge gained during the first stage. Study models of various scales will be produced, finally followed by the fabrication and assembly of a full scale working prototype that unifies the design goals of the programme.
The design agendas of AA Athens and AA Istanbul Visiting Schools will directly create feedback on one another, allowing participation in either one or both Programmes.
Prominent features of the programme / skills developed:
- Participants will be part of an active learning environment where the large tutor to student ratio (4:1) allows for personalized tutorials and debates.
- The toolset of AA Istanbul includes but is not limited to Rhinoceros, Processing, and Grasshopper, as well as analysis software.
- Participants will have access to digital fabrication tools such as 3-axis CNC router, laser-cutter, and 3d-printer.
- Design seminars and lecture series will support the key objectives of the programme, disseminating fundamental design techniques and relevant critical thinking methodologies.
The workshop is open to current architecture and design students, PhD candidates and young professionals. The deadline for applications is 08 June 2015.
The AA Visiting School requires a fee of £600 per participant, which includes a £60 Visiting Membership fee. Discount options for groups or for those wishing to apply for both AA Istanbul and AA Athens Visiting Schools are available. Please contact the AA Visiting School Coordinator for more details. Alternatively, you can find more information on discounts from this link.
If you have any questions, please contact:
- Elif Erdine (AA Istanbul Visiting School Programme Director); Email: email@example.com
- AA Visiting School Coordinator; Email: firstname.lastname@example.org