To accommodate for the inevitable growth in population, Tampere, Finland’s second largest city has shortlisted five teams to reimagine its largest railway station. With of vision of the Tampere Railway Station becoming a lively multi-functional city area by 2030, competitors have been asked to design an overall masterplan that will guide future development for the travel and service center area. The following architect-led teams have each received €80,000 to participate:
- Alejandro Zaera-Polo & Maider Llaguno Architectur and Architects Lahdelma & Mahlamäki Oy (Great Britain, Finland) and WSP Finland (Traffic Planning, Finland)
- COBE ApS and Lunden Architecture Oy (Denmark, Finland) and Ramboll Finland Ltd (Traffic Planning, Finland)
- Karres en Brands Landscape architecture + urban planning and Benthem Crouwell Architects (The Netherlands) and Ramboll Finland Ltd (Traffic Planning, Finland)
- KCAP Architects and Planners (Switzerland) and Trafix Oy (Traffic Planning, Finland)
- Space Group Architects and Buro Happold ApS (Norway, Denmark) and Trafix Oy (Traffic Planning, Finland)
A winner will be announced in October.
Reference: City of Tampere, BDOnline