A few months ago I attended the launch of eVolo Magazine at the Storefront Gallery, where I had the chance to talk with editor-in-chief Carlo Aiello about the magazine.
I already knew about eVolo as a foundation to promote forward thinking on architecture, through a series of thematic skyscraper competitions over the last few years, while serving as a platform for young architects.
The magazine (published twice per year) is similar, with thematic issues divided in two parts: Opinion and Depth. The first includes on going or completed buildings by renowned practices, analyzed by a group of experts and other articles. The second part includes experiments projects by young architects around the theme of the issue.
On the first edition “Housing for the 21st century” we find projects by OMA, Herzog & de Meuron, Alejandro Aravena, BIG, Steven Hall and Asymptote, articles by Neri Oxman and several experimental projects on housing by a group of young architects.
More details after the break:
It is with great pleasure that we introduce you to the premier issue of eVolo. This architecture and design journal was initially conceived in 2004 by a group of graduate students at Columbia University in New York City. Following graduate school, inspired and idealistic, many of us felt the need to reach further and look more closely at ourselves and our specific strenghts to figure out what we could uniquely contribute to the field of architecture. Unfortunately entering the work force revealed a scary truth; the world of architecture is a tough place, making little room to accommodate all the unique contributions that so many brilliant young architects were so eager to make. This, specifically, is the inspiration for eVolo; to provide a forum for showcasing the most innovative, the most avantgarde designs that will define architecture in the twenty-first century.
- From the Editorial, eVolo Magazine
Editor-in-chief / Creative Director: Carlo Aiello Editors: Paul Aldridge, Noémie Deville, Anna Solt, Jung Su Lee
Language: English Cover: Paperback Pages: 176 Dimensions: 11.5 x 9.1 x 0.8 inches ISBN: 978-0-9816658-1-8
1. Editorial Editor’s Letter
2. News Urban China
3. Opinion Mountain Dwellings / Bjarke Ingles Group Home Sweet Home Adaptive Prototypes: Vanke Center and Formal Adaptability / Steven Holl Architects Exploring Personal Spaces in a Postmodern World 56 Leonard Street Apartments in New York / Herzog & de Meuron Strata Tower in Abu Dhabi / Hani Rashid + Lise Anne Couture Rain, Rain, Go Away From Public Housing to Housing a New Public: The Case of Elemental / Alejandro Aravena 21st Century Housing The Condominiums of 23 East 22nd Street and One Madison Park / Office for Metropolitan Architecture, Cetra + Ruddy Incorporated Urban Refuse, Housing & Wall-E Sliced Porosity Block / Steven Holl Architects Genetic Housing / Carlo Aiello Pavane for the well-tempered typology Garden Lofts / Little
4. Depth 07 Housing Competition Capitalistic Symbiosis Housing + Infrastructure: An active planning strategy subsidizing low income public housing New housing for Shanghai Well City Gradients of transition: A resilient stretch system Becoming a living space Symbiant Unit 01 Hypersthetics: Changing the topological perception of beauty Shotgun Chameleon Railway Housing Mikado Housing Hybrid Evolutionary Lifestyles Median Income Housing Genetic Architecture Architecture Redefined Kokuy Housing Eco-Sustainable Housing Water-Edge Housing in New York Housing for the 21st Century
5. Catalog Nervous System Jewelry
Buy this book