The Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat is announcing its second annual student competition for “Reimagining Tall”. The competition will be held in conjunction with CTBUH 9th World Congress Shanghai 2012. Competition chair William Pedersen of Kohn Pedersen Fox noted that the competition hopes to give new meaning to “the tall building” and move it “away from just an instrument of financial exploitation and toward a development highly concerned with its impact on the city, the environment, and the urban habitat”. The competition is seeking proposals that address the building’s relationship with the urban fabric, integrate existing street life and reflect their environment in a productive way. This should be an interesting competition considering we are entering the era of the megatall.
More details on the competition after the break.
The jury will select the top five submission to present at the CTBUH 2012 Shanghai Congress. The key dates are as follows:
- January 2012 – Competition Formally Launched
- Friday, June 22nd – Registration Deadline
- Friday, July 6th – Submission Deadline
- Wednesday, July 16th – Short-listed “Semi-finalists” Announced
- Wednesday, July 30th – Top-five “Finalists” announced
- Wednesday, September 19th-21st – CTBUH Shanghai Congress
- Thursday, September 20th (afternoon) – Top-five “Finalists” present to jury in Shanghai
- Thursday, September 20th (evening) – Winners announced and prizes conferred during Congress Dinner
Jurors will judge the proposals according to creativity, functionality, response to site and sustainability equally. For more details about this competition visit the CTBUH official competition website here and download the competition brief. And be sure to check out 2011′s competition results here.