Text description provided by the architects. Creating a unique space, but harmonious and relaxing was the main goal in the procedure of creating “ENSAYAR”, in Athens- Greece.
Thousands of ropes hanging from the ceiling and the reflection of light between them is the first impression of a space that had to be the ideal background and support for the merchandise but at the same time not common to what a retail store is usually like.
The stair connects the two levels in a way that makes going downstairs a natural next step. The way the light comes out, transforms the stair in a sculpture like form.
- No glare at all, in any point of space
- Light focused only where needed (that means creation of interesting shadows)
- Right use of daylight in the front and back space
- Use of high efficiency- low consumption and no maintenance fixtures
- Proper color temperature for clothing, although there have been used separate different light sources.
- Use of professional spots in the area where the ropes are hanging, following the exact perimeter of furniture, placed in that space and focused on the surface of them.
All furniture and objects are specifically designed for this project and are not “stuck” on walls but moveable. This gives the option to transform the space in no time and give another meaning to the in-store merchandising.
The use of the backyard as a garden helped in creating a relaxing point in a noisy part of the city, and the trick of integrating the -1 level with it, brings in natural light and fresh air.
The back side of the garden is a concrete wall, having reflections of water on its surface. The reflections are created by water in the base of the wall, colored by RGB Led.
The combination of forms and shapes, materials, textures, colors and lighting design is what you see in the following photos.