Architects: Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
Location: Grand Teton National Park, Wyoming, USA
Project Area: 2,044 sqm
The new Craig Thomas Discovery and Visitor Center is sited between a sagebrush meadow and a riparian forest along the Snake River. Approaching through a grove of spruce, cottonwood and aspen trees, visitors are drawn into a courtyard that provides a calm and intimate place in the vast Wyoming landscape. The proportions of this outdoor space accommodate groups of people for gatherings and orientation. The roof tilts upward and away from the courtyard, its jagged edges celebrating the peaks of the Teton Range beyond.
Entering through a vestibule at the north end of the courtyard, visitors are drawn into the ‘heart’ of the building; a large gathering hall that accommodates many functions with the magnificent view of the Teton Range as a backdrop. A large concrete and stone fireplace acts as the focal point of the room. Additional program elements including a bookstore, art gallery and classroom are located adjacent to the gathering space.
The new Craig Thomas Discovery and Visitor Center pays homage to the strong tradition of rustic architecture in the national parks while remaining fully modern in its design, execution and interpretive mission.
The architecture, landscape and interpretive elements of the new visitor center are carefully and sensitively integrated to provide a rich experience for the visitor.
Products in this project
- Waterless Urinals: WES-1000 by Sloan Valve Company
- Drinking Fountain: Taylor Model number HRFESBP by Halsey Taylor
- HandDryers by Excel
- Low-flow toilets: Kingston K-4330, wall mounted by Kohler
- Toilet Partitions & Countertop by Bobrick
- Faucet: Hands-Free Electronic ETF-80 by Sloan Valve Company
- Kitchen Countertops by Formica
- Insulation: spray-applied foam insulation – Polyfoam System 193 by Gaco Western
- Cedar Rainscreen siding: Clear Heart by Western Red Cedar
- Aluminum and glass window wall by Hankins & Johann
- Drainage mat: Home slicker by Benjamin Obdyke
- Glazing: 1” thick insulated glass unit with PPG Solarban 60 low E coating by Oldcastle Glass
- Carpet: Super Flor by Interface Floor
- Tile: Terra Traffic by Terra Green Ceramics
- Custom NPS conference table: Designed by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson by Willow Creek Woodworking
- Custom reclaimed timber benches: Designed by Bohlin Cywinski Jackson by Clear Form Design
- Air Handling System by York
- Radiant Heating System: Gas-Fired Direct Vent Cast Iron Boiler KN-Series by Hydrotherm
- Custom Millwork by Willow Creek Woodworking
- Appliances: energy star rated appliances by General Electrics
Lighting, Heating, Home/building automation: Ardee Lighting , The Lighting Quotient, Prulite , Lithonia Lighting, BK Lighting, Elison Price , Concealite, Lucifer Lighting Co.
- Lighting by Ardee Lighting
- Elliptar by The Lighting Quotient
- Lighting by Prulite
- Lighting by Lithonia Lighting
- Lighting by BK Lighting
- Lightning by Elison Price
- Lighting by Concealite
- Lighting by Lucifer Lighting Co.
- Linear wood slat ceiling - VG Doug Fir veneer over MDF panel by Rulon Company
- Acoustic panel ceiling - VG Doug Fir veneer over MDF panel by Rulon Company
- Underlayment: Grace Ice and Water Shield by Grace Construction Products
- Metal Roof by AEP Span
- Other structural wood products by LP Building Products
- Log and Glulam Structure by Spearhead Timberworks
- Tackboard by Forbo
- Tile: Terra Classic by Terra Green Ceramics
- Lockers by TRESPA
- Interior Paint and Clear Finishes: Low-emitting VOC by Kelly-Moore Paints