This week, with the help of our readers, our Architecture City Guide is headed to Shanghai. Shanghai is noted for having more Art Deco buildings than any other city, including László Hudec’s Park Hotel, which is not on our list but will be added in a future guide. Like many cities in China, Shanghai’s rapid growth has meant a boon in contemporary architecture styles. We put together a list of 12 modern/contemporary buildings that we feel provides a good starting point. It is far from complete. There are dozens of other great buildings that are not our list, and we are looking to add to the list in the near future. Please add your favorites in the comment section below so we can add them on the second go around. Again thank you to all our readers who sent in their suggestions and photographs. The city guides would not be possible without your help.
- Shanghai Oriental Sports Center / gmp architekten
- Shanghai Museum of Glass / Logon Architecture
- Shanghai Houtan Park / Turenscape
- SPSI Art Museum / Wang Yan
- Shanghai World Financial Centre / KPF
- The Oriental Pearl Tower / Shanghai Modern Architectural Design Co. Ltd.
- Shanghai Science and Technology Museum/ RTKL with Shanghai Modern Design Group
- Jin Mao Tower / SOM (Adrian Smith)
- Giant Interactive Group Corporate Headquarters / Morphosis Architects
- Apple Store / Bohlin Cywinski Jackson
- Quingpu Pedestrian Bridge / CA-DESIGN
- Shanghai Museum / Xing Tonghe
View Architecture City Guide: Shanghai in a larger map