The fundamental objective of the competition is the selection of the best conceptual urban and architectural design of Independence Square in Podgorica, on the basis of parameters and recommendations specified by Terms of Reference. Participants of the Competition are expected to propose a design in accordance with the needs of citizens and visitors of the city of Podgorica in a way that is recognizable, unique and in line with the great significance of the square for this city. The goal is to reach the quality traffic solution that will, as much as possible, reroute the car traffic from open surfaces within the area that is subject of competition and make the space more accessible to pedestrians and more appealing to different types of users through a quality traffic solution.
Competition for conceptual architectural design is international, general, one-phased and anonymous. In the process of an ongoing urbanization, open public spaces represent an important part of the progression that should encourage citizens to interact socially and actively participate in the social life. Therefore, proposed urban architectural design for the area of Independence square is expected to, apart from reaching high ambient values and attractiveness of design, provide possibilities for active space use with various ways of utilizations which support and improve social contacts. A rational design of the underground parking at this location will significantly contribute to solving the problem of insufficient
parking space in central urban zone and free up the public areas. Within the underground garage, the level -1 it can be optionally organized for business - commercial facilities. The design should presume a feeling of comfort and safety, as well as be in compliance with the principles of sustainability, both during the design and construction as well as afterwards, at the phase of exploitation.
The design should be planned with the aim of reaching the high quality and usage of all spatial potential, whereby the priority should be given to practical and sustainable designs. The solution must also include the elements of “urban furniture” (public lightening, benches, boxes for greenery, waste bins, signposts, signalization, interactive boards, temporary structures, etc.).
The design of “urban furniture” should be contemporary and cohesive. Urban equipment should provide rational, innovative, functional and dynamic use of the public space, with particular attention paid to its transformation, with the purpose of enabling diverse cultural and social events. Proposed design should define places to rest, so it is desirable to consider the possibility of roofing and accentuation of these locations. During design process, one should take care of safety and inclusivity within the public space, that implies adequate lightening, locating of parking for bicycles and design of floor surfacing with tactile fields for enhanced accessibility.
Given the fact that conceptual design includes only the square, while keeping the existing buildings in the current outlines, it is possible to propose the reconstruction, rehabilitation or refreshment of the facade fronts of the square.
The Competition is open for all individuals and companies that meet the conditions defined by the Competition Announcement and the Terms of Reference. Persons who are directly engaged in preparation and conducting of Competition and their closest relatives, persons employed with the Competition Announcer and persons who terminated the employment at the Competition Announcer within the period of two years upon the termination of employment, as well as persons who are the closest relatives and/or associates working closely with the jury members, may not participate in the Competition.
Mandatory conditions for participation in the Competition are as follows:
- Submitted design must include all graphic and textual components, as well as other data required by the Competition Announcement;
- Conceptual design must be submitted in a timely manner and in a way defined by the Competition Announcement.
Each competition participant, either an individual or a team, has the right to submit only one competition project.
Members of the Competition jury are as follows:
- Nikola Drakić, architect, Head of the Jury;
- Dragan Vuković, chief state architect, expert member of the Jury;
- Milan Đurić, architect, expert member of the Jury;
- Saša Begović, architect, expert member of the Jury;
- Simeun Matović, civil engineer, expert member of the Jury;
- Filip Aleksić, chief city architect of the Capital city Podgorica, member of the Jury;
- Miljan Barović, secretary of the Secretariat for spatial planning and sustainable development of the Capital city Podgorica, member of the Jury.
If one of the jury members is unable to participate in judging, the Competition announcer shall appoint the deputy member.
All participants may submit questions until August 15th 2020, after which all questions and answers will be published at the website of the Capital city Podgorica before August 22nd 2020.
Questions are to be sent to e-mail addresses: firstname.lastname@example.org | email@example.com
Pursuant to Article 7 of The Decision on announcing competition for conceptual urban and architectural design of Independence Square in Podgorica, no. 01-018/20-4478, July 9 2020, the Competition jury informs all interested participants that the deadline for submission of conceptual designs has been extended due to great interest, and that the new deadline for submitting conceptual design is October 30, 2020.
Competition designs are to be delivered at the Archive of the Capital city Podgorica, no later than and including October 30th 2020 by 4 pm.
If designs are to be delivered by post, postal note with the date of confirmation on the receipt shall be valid. The address for submission of designs is:
Glavni grad Podgorica
Ul. Njegoševa, br. 20, 81000 Podgorica
All participants will be informed about the jury's decision on November 20, 2020. The results of the competition and the jury’s report will be published at Podgorica website. The competition is open as of July 10, 2020
CONTENTS OF THE CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
Every submitted design shall include the textual part presented in A3 format and with the following contents:
- Explanation of the conceptual design;
- Description and explanation of chosen materials;
- Description of the application of principles of energy efficiency and eco-friendly
designs (use of renewable energy sources, public lightening, landscaping, materialization...);
- Table with gross and net surfaces and urban parameters;
- Approximate investment estimation.
Every submitted design shall include the graphical part presented on A0 panel format, with the following contents:
- Expanded site of the competition area (in context of the block with contact zones), scale 1:500;
- Site plan, scale 1:200;
- Underground floor layout, scale1:200;
- Specific cross-sections through the square, scale 1:200;
Appearances of façade fronts at the periphery of the square, 1:200;
- Details of site plan, urban furniture, temporary structures – layouts, cross-sections, 3D, 1:50 (or detailed);
- 3D and renderings in existing surrounding upon the author's choice.
TECHNICAL FORMATATION OF THE CONCEPTUAL DESIGN
The conceptual designs are to be delivered in analogue and digital form. A3 format shall be submitted in 7 copies.
1. Analogue form – textual part
Textual part is to be delivered in A3 format (landscape orientation), with the content specified as in previous chapter.
Full title of the Competition is to be written in the top right corner of each sheet.
The author’s code (anonymity insurance) is to be written in the top left corner of each sheet. Font ARIAL, font size: 10.
2. Analogue form – graphical part
Graphic presentation of the conceptual design is delivered on A0 panels and formatted in A3 sheets. The contents of submitted graphic attachments are accordingly specified previously.
Full title of the Competition is to be put in the top right corner of each sheet.
The author’s code (anonymity insurance) is to be written in the top left corner of each sheet.
Font ARIAL, font size: 12.
3. Digital form
All conceptual designs are to be submitted on CD that will contain two folders.
One folder will contain a PDF file to be saved with all sheets enclosed in A3 sheets in analogue form. Every A0 panel prepared for printing is to be saved in the other folder. Each A3 sheet needs to contain CD. CD-s are to be submitted in paper package with written authors’ code.
4. Design submission
Every competition project must be compiled in a package, with an explicitly marked author’s code in the corner of the package and a clear indication as follows:
GLAVNI GRAD PODGORICA
„KONKURS ZA IDEJNO URBANISTIČKO – ARHITEKTONSKO RJEŠENJE TRGA
NEZAVISNOSTI U PODGORICI“
Adresa: Njegoseva 20
Inside the package and beside the conceptual design, the authors must submit two nontransparent sealed envelopes with a clear indication “AUTHOR’S INFORMATION“ as follows:
a) If the prize payment is made to the individuals:
- Author’s code;
- First and last name/names of the author/authors; or the representative of the author's team;
- Address, e-mail and number of mobile phone of the representative of the author’s team;
- Declaration on acceptance of terms of competition;
- Declaration on distribution of prizes with bank accounts of the members of the
author's team, which must be signed by all members of the author's team with
b) If the payment is made to the company:
- Author’s code;
- Name or names of author/authors with the address and contact phone number;
- Authorized person’s information;
- Address, e-mail and mobile phone of the team’s representative;
- Company's name, tax identification number and VAT number;
- Declaration on acceptance of terms of competition;
- Author's declaration on prize payment on company's bank account, signed by all members of the author's team, with payment instructions;
- Excerpt from Central register of commercial entities of Montenegro, or state of the company's registration.
PRIZES, REDEMPTION, INDEMNITIES AND COMPENSATIONS
Gross prize fund amounts to 55.000,00€.
The jury shall award the first, second and third prize and two redemptions in following amounts:
First prize - 30.000,00€
Second prize - 15.000,00€
Third prize - 7.000,00€
Two redemptions each 1.500,00€
Authors of awarded design are obliged to submit the documentation with amendments and corrections in accordance with recommendations of the Jury within 10 days following the announcement of the Competition results.
The jury reserves the right not to award any of the listed prizes if the submitted designs are not at the satisfactory level, as well as to establish special awards and notable mentions.
PROTECTION OF AUTHORS' RIGHTS AND VIOLATION OF COMPETITION RULES
1. Authors' rights
Following the adoption of jury's decision by distribution of awards and redemptions, property rights of author are vested in the Capital city Podgorica.
All conceptual designs are submitted anonymously. Anonymity of participants is reached by fee-less download of the competition material from the website of the Capital city Podgorica and by submitting questions without obligation of signing and identification, sent by any email account. Anonymity remains in effect during the decision taking of the Jury and must not be violated under any circumstances. After the decision has been made, the jury is obliged to submit to the Announcer the decision on awards with the official explanation. Only after this decision, envelopes titled “Data about author” are opened, following the
authors of the awarded designs are known.
Submitted designs will not be taken into consideration during the judging if:
- the conceptual design was not submitted within the specified deadlines
- the conceptual design does not contain all attachments as requested
- the conceptual design was not submitted in accordance with the stated rules
- the conceptual design violated the conditions of anonymity.
LANGUAGE IN WHICH THE COMPETITION IS ANNOUNCED AND CONDUCTED
The Announcer announces and conducts the Competition in Montenegrin and English language.
TitleOpen Call: Conceptual Urban and Architectural Design of Independence Square in Podgorica
TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
Submission DeadlineOctober 30, 2020 04:00 PM