Against the backdrop of the widespread damage caused by the Super Cyclone ‘Amphan’ in May 2020, we are calling the students of architecture, planning and design community to propose design alternatives for a Homestead for a Family in the Sundarbans and rise to the occasion to contribute to the society at large.
The proposed design should be:
• Resilient to natural hazards like, cyclone and flood
• Sustainable by minimizing damages to the ecosystem
• Creative in design expression and resolution while responding to the culture of the place
• Affordable to the users for cost-effective construction and maintenance
• Implementable for fast scaling up of the execution by the authorities, NGOs and individuals
It is to be assumed that the site is located in one of the villages in lower Sundarbans area. Forest is protected and no intervention is allowed within it.
FUNCTION: HOMESTEAD (bhite-bari in Bengali)
A home + work space for a family of 5-6 members (Husband & Wife, 2 or 3 Children, Father and/or Mother)
WHO SHOULD ENTER
This competition is open to graduate and post-graduate level students around the world (1 to 4 members in a team) who are currently enrolled in architecture, planning and design program.
For recent graduates: The recent graduates, who completed Bachelor of Architecture/ Planning/ Design Course in 2018 or 2019, will be allowed to take part in the competition, provided that the First Member of the participating team is a student presently enrolled in a postgraduate or undergraduate course of Architecture/ Planning/ Design.
[In Indian Standard Time: IST]
Registration Starts: From 12:00 midnight, June 12, 2020
Registration Ends: 12:00 midnight, July 10, 2020
Design Entry Submission: Till 12:00 midnight, July 20, 2020
Announcement of Final Result: July 31, 2020
• First Prize, Second Prize, Third Prize and 3 Commendation Prizes (Cash Award + Certificates)
• Total Prize amount will be a minimum of INR 30,000/- (deductions, if any, will be as per relevant statutory provisions)
• Note on further dissemination:
o Top six entries will be shared with the government and reputed NGOs for record and reference for any rehabilitation programme
o Soft publication of the competition entries by SEARCH
o Online display and exhibition of competition entries
• Dr. Khandekar Shabbir AHMED, Architect, Urbanist and Professor of Architecture & Planning at Bangladesh University of Engineering & Technology (BUET), Dhaka
• Dr. Suchandra BARDHAN, Architect, Landscape Architect and Professor of Architecture at Jadavpur University, Kolkata
• Vina Verghese BISWAS, Architect, Landscape Architect, Partner: VSPB Associates and Visiting Faculty Member: Department of Landscape Architecture at School of Planning and Architecture (SPA), New Delhi
• Aneerudh PAUL, Architect, Urban Designer and Professor & Principal of Kamla Raheja Vidyanidhi Institute for Architecture (KRVIA), Mumbai
• Rajat RAY, Architect, Urban Designer, Conservation Architect and Professor & Dean of University School of Architecture and Planning (USAP), GGS Indra Prastha University, New Delhi
• Dr. Padmini RAY MURRAY, Design and Technology Researcher and Founder: Design Beku, Bengaluru
• Dr. Tania SENGUPTA, Architect, Urban Designer and Director of Architectural History and Theory at the Bartlett School of Architecture, University College London
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for entries: Homestead Design Alternatives for a Family in Sundarbans
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
Registration DeadlineJuly 10, 2020 11:59 PM
Submission DeadlineJuly 20, 2020 11:59 PM