The Tamayouz Women in Architecture and Construction Award is an excellence award for women who have contributed to the fields of architecture and construction throughout the Near East and North Africa. The award consists of two categories:
1. Women of Outstanding Achievements: This prize recognises the individual’s positive contribution to the field of architecture and the status of women in the field, as well as all other professional achievements and her lifelong commitment to the profession.
2. Rising Stars: This prize recognises excellence in design, leadership, early career achievements and acknowledges the candidate's bright future ahead.
Participation is open for women who are from the NENA region (see eligible countries below) and are either employed in the NENA region and specialise in architecture and construction, or who are employed/living abroad but their contribution has had a direct impact on the built environment in the NENA region. Candidates should also have made contributions within their communities.
Countries eligible for participation
Algeria, Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.
- Support women from the Near East and North Africa who are working in the fields of architecture, construction and landscape.
- Empower women working in male dominated professions.
- Recognise the achievements of young women, celebrate their early success and encourage them to take it further.
- Showcase female-driven achievements to the world, like academic and professional contributions to the built environment.
- Support those who are challenging the status-quo by exploring careers in traditionally male-dominated professions, inspiring generations to come.
Potential Candidates Include
- Architects, landscape designers, civil engineers, site supervisors, project managers, urban designers, urban planners, site laborers and clients.
- Academics and researchers in the fields of architecture and construction.
- Activists that promote the environment and the conservation of national heritage.
- Government/public sector employees with architecture or construction backgrounds who are making a difference locally or in the wider region.
- Although this award was previously open only for Iraqi women, it it now open for women of all backgrounds so long as they contribute to the built environment of the region and follow the above guidelines.
The winner will be chosen based on her career achievements and contribution to the fields of architecture and construction.
Both winners and highly commended will receive the Tamayouz Excellence Medal, as well as a certificate. This medal will be given during the Tamayouz Award Ceremony, with flights and accommodation for those attending the ceremony to be covered by Tamayouz Award. The host city of the 2019 ceremony will be Amman.
The winner of the Woman of Outstanding Achievement will receive a ceramic statuette created by celebrated Iraqi artist Dia Azzawi. Born in Baghdad in 1939, Azzawi started his artistic career in 1964, after graduating from the Institute of Fine Arts in Baghdad and completing a degree in archaeology from Baghdad University in 1962. With exhibitions of his work held his art features in international private and public collections including the Museums of Modern Art in: Baghdad, Damascus and Tunis; Jeddah International Airport; British Museum, Tate Modern, and Victoria and Albert Museum, London; Institut du Monde Arabe, Bibliothèque Nationale de France and Colas Foundation, Paris; Gulbenkian Collection, Barcelona; and Library of Congress and the World Bank, Washington.
15 / January - 01 / August 2020
August - September 2020
More information about the award and previous winners can be found here: https://www.tamayouz-award.com/women-in-architecture-and-construction-award.html
TitleWomen in Architecture and Construction Award | Middle East and North Africa | Tamayouz Excellence Award 2020
TypeCall for Submissions
Registration DeadlineAugust 01, 2020 11:30 PM
Submission DeadlineAugust 01, 2020 11:30 PM
Country RestrictionsAlgeria, Bahrain, Cyprus, Egypt, Iran, Iraq, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Mauritania, Morocco, Oman, Palestine, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, Syria, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates