The social catastrophe of Latin America has its epicenter in popular settlements.
It is in Latin America, the most urbanized and unequal region in the world, where 104 million people live in popular settlements. Here, 1 of every 4 inhabitants of urban areas, lives in a slum, villa, favela or camp, in a situation of poverty. These populations must subsist by their own means, with the constant violation of their rights.
TECHO’s current emergency house is based on a modular design of 18 square meters, removable and transportable, structurally composed of wood and covered with fiber cement.
Archstorming is calling for proposals to redesign the current emergency house model of TECHO. The winning proposal will be built all across the country for those who need it.
- The aim of this project is to design a temporary shelter for those who don't have a place to live.
- The main goals of this competition are:
- Reduce build times and the logistical difficulties that the current model present.
- Decrease the assembly complexity from the manufacturing process.
- Increase the lifespan of foundations and structures as well as improve the almost nonexistent thermal insulation.
- Facilitate the future growth of the house unit (modular).
- Increase the flexibility to locate the house’s doors and windows.
- Possibility to add extra modules to the house (bathroom, kitchen or others)
- Use sustainable and easy to get materials.
- Have a more liveable space as a house.
- All details regarding these and other goals of the competition can be found in the briefing.
- March 6th 2018 Registration Opens
- July 3rd 2019 Registration Closes
- July 3rd 2019 Submission Deadline
- July 4th - July 18th Jury Decision
- July 18th Winners Announced
Prizes up to 20.000€ + Construction
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for Entries: Emergency Housing Mexico
TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
Registration DeadlineJuly 03, 2019 11:59 PM
Submission DeadlineJuly 03, 2019 11:59 PM