Discover the rich architecture of the South West of England as we visit historic Bath and the vibrant city of Bristol. Along the way we take in the stately splendor of Stonor Park and the hidden gem of Bowood House, nestled deep in the Wiltshire countryside. From our base in genteel Bath we explore stunning Georgian architecture and learn more about how Bath was built in the 1800s, with a talk from the curator of the Museum of Bath Architecture.
We also get a dramatic view of Bath from our vantage point of Beckford’s Tower, an architectural folly with a great story to tell. In Bristol we uncover this modern city’s hidden medieval roots with a tour of the Cathedral, and explore how ancient and modern combine with a visit to the Bristol Architecture Centre. We finally explore the medieval city of Salisbury and its historic cathedral.
Call now to book! 1.800.293.5725 (Max. guests 25)
Architectural expert: Neil Jackson, RIBA, Professor of Architecture
- Take in the Bristol Cathedral, which mixes a medieval ‘hall church’ with a Gothic Revival nave.
- Visit the Bath Abbey, one of the largest examples of Perpendicular Gothic architecture in the West Country.
- Marvel at the natural phenomenon and well preserved Roman Baths.
- Enjoy a guided tour of Stonor Park.
- Explore the medieval city of Salisbury.
- Discover Beckford’s Tower, an architectural folly built in neo-classical style.
- Admire Bowood House, a grade I listed Georgian country house.
- See the No. 1 Royal Crescent, a Georgian Townhouse in the most fashionable row of houses in Bath.
- Explore the Bath Museum of Architecture.
- Enjoy the Bristol Architecture Centre.
- Visit Temple Meads Station.
- This trip qualifies for up to 10 AIA learning units.
MGallery Windsor Castle Hotel: Castle Hotel Windsor is an elegant Georgian building with a rich past and an enviable address which is directly opposite Windsor Castle. Walk through the doors and walk back in time, as you discover fascinating authentic features and lovingly restored décor. You'll have the best view possible for the pomp and grandeur of the Changing of the Guard. With its world-famous Castle and superb Thameside location, Windsor has a rich mix of history, culture, heritage and fun.
MGallery Francis Hotel: The Francis Hotel is situated in the heart of the historic city of Bath. This beautiful 18th-century townhouse offers views over leafy Queen Square. As a member of the MGallery by Sofitel collection, the hotel will make you feel like your stay is unique. The convenient central location allows visitors to discover Bath's fantastic shopping areas and easily explore its most iconic landmarks.
- An experienced Tour Director, in addition to the Architectural Adventures Educational Expert.
- Land transportation by private motor coach as outlined in the itinerary.
- Gratuities to local guides and drivers.
- Water, soft drinks, and coffee are included with each lunch and dinner; two glasses of wine are included at dinners.
TitleArchitectural Adventures: Discover English Architecture
FromOctober 07, 2018 10:43 AM
UntilOctober 14, 2018 10:43 AM
VenueBowood House and Gardens