‘NaTian’ Cup International Design Competition
—— Sustainable Design, Sustainable Life
The contemporary urban landscape relies largely on the creation and regeneration of public spaces, which then reflect on the beauty of cities. The identity of urban spaces is created through infrastructures, sculptures, buildings, land, vegetation and any element that is capable of representing the essence of place and culture. Pleasant and comfortable urban ecological environment and interesting urban public spaces have undoubtedly become one of the main driving forces of urban development.
First ‘Naian’ Cup International Competition for Sustainable Design was initiated jointly by Suqian Municipal Government, Suqian Planning Bureau, and CBC (China Building Centre). Last year, several urban regeneration projects have taken place in Suqian through utilizing plantation elements from traditional Chinese culture. This year, Suqian Government intends to take the urban projects to the next level.
The competition will be based on Axis between the Luoma Lake and the Santaishan National Park that included the Naian Flower Farm, investigating into the cultural, functional and representation of public spaces. The competition invites projects from both domestic and international studios, designers, artist and students. Proposals should be designs of urban icons, sculptures, landscape art, buildings, installations that are integrated into and responding to the status of development in the selected area. Participants will be able to choose the location and the subject for their proposal. Though there is no limit with the budget for the construction, the design should be constructible. Several winner proposals selected by the jury panel could be built subjecting to the city’s regulation.
II. Introduction of Suqian
Suqian, situated in North Jiangsu Province, is part of Yangtze Delta economic circle, and at the cross radiation zone of east Longhai industrial zone, the coastal economic belt and the economic belt along Yangtze River. Suqian, as one of the most dynamic cities in east China, possesses great natural conditions and potentiality. Since ancient times, Suqian had the topographical privileges of lying between Shandong Province and the South China, between the Yangtze River and the Yellow River, and between the two capitals (Beijing and Nanjing). Although having a long history, Suqian is the youngest prefecture level city in Jiangsu Province, with a booming developmental trend. (See appendix for details)
III. Theme of the Competition and Interpretation
Identity for the Sustainable Design
The selected sites, the Shanshui Green Corridor and NaTian Flower arm, are located on the Axis between the Luoma Lake and the NaTian Flower Farm in Suqian. The prime location is a great opportunity for designers to imagine the city of the future based in ecological principles. Suqian as many Chinese cities are facing a new era for their development base in the idea of urban regeneration, landscape preservation and sustainable development. The site is a unique landscape that every year manifest the beauty of nature with their impressive colors and the biodiversity explosion. And that’s why rethinking how the city can extended the benefits of the beauty of that phenomena in time, and to integrate all the natural cycles in their urban life is a challenge from which many cities can learn.
Sponsor: Suqian Municipal Government
Organizer: Suqian Municipal Planning Bureau
CBC(China Building Centre)
Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine
V. Competition Jury
Chairman of the Jury:
Former Chief Architect of Barcelona, co-founder of the Institute for Advanced Architecture of Catalonia and founder of Guallart Architects, and a leading global figure in relation to projects and theories for new forms of urbanity in the Digital Age.
Members of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, the Director of Institute of urban design, Southeast University.
Members of the Chinese Academy of Engineering, the Chief Architect of Shenzhen General Institute of Architectural Design and Research Co.LTD.
Famous International Landscape Architect, Tenure Professor of Harvard Graduate School of Design.
Dean of Graduate School of Urbanology in National research university "Higher School of Economics", Founder of Habidatum, Specialist of Urban Data, Urban Science expert.
Dean of School of Architecture, Tsinghua University.
Master Architect and Urban Planner in the Netherlands, Co-founder and Chief Urban Planner of UNStudio.
Dean of School of Architecture and Landscape, Peking University.
Co-Founder of Terreform ONE and an Associate Professor of Practice at NYU and Columbia University
Executive Vice-Dean of School of Architecture, South China University of Technology; Changjiang Scholar Distinguished Professor; National Famous Educator
Vice President, Chinese People's Political Consultative Conference of Luohu District, Shenzhen; Doctor supervisor, School of Architecture,Southeast University; Senior Architect; Member of Urban Design Specialist Committee under Ministry of Housing and Urban-Rural Development
Chief Editor of Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine, Director of China Building Centre, Guest Professor of the School of Architecture, Tianjin University
Chairman of ARTS Group Co, Ltd
VI. Competition Requirements
To develop an innovative design that bears an important effect in creating an identity for the city of Suqian, and may functionally impact the new Green Axis and the NaTian Flower Farm in the Shantaishan Forest Park. The proposal is suggested to pay attention to the two sites: the new Shanshui Green Corridor being developed and the existing flower farm.
1. Design Principles
1) Creativity: Create diverse and interesting places for SuQian residents and tourists. Design must be original.
2) Regionalism: Design should combine local history, culture, and natural environment.
3) Sustainability: Designers should take into account the sustainability of design, materials and management.
4) Practicality: The project should not be a mere conception. The material choices, the construction forms and the craftsmanship requirements should be practical.
5) The proposal should be able to develop the identity of the area, adding new functions and becoming an expressive public space.
2. Design Types
The type of design is not restrained. It could be building, landscape, sculpture or device, for example, Observatory tower, Sculpture, tourist center, teahouse, café, pavilion, restaurant, gallery, Art events etc. The project should be creative, based on local historic and cultural contexts and define a new urban icon.
The competition encourages participants to freely investigate in the given region, delineate their own design area and make their own themes. Photos and satellite images of the site should be attached to the project.
VII. Competition Procedures
1) This is a fair competition to all the design companies, individual designers, artist and students in architecture, landscape, urban planning, design and art.
2) Log on the competition website http://natiancompetition.uedmagazine.net, click “Registration” and fill in the information.
3) Registration Deadline: Aug 20th, 2017
All participants are required to submit digital files, including drawing and other information to NaTiancompetition@163.com before Sept 15th, 2017. The competition committee does not accept any hardcopy.
3. Selection Procedure
With the aid of the competition committee, the jury reviews the projects and determines the prize-winning projects. Prize winning projects will be officially announced by October 2017.
Please do not hesitate to email your questions to NaTiancompetition@163.com
VIII. Submission Requirements
1. Please submit the digital version of drawings and related documents to NaTioncompitition@163.com. Please include“NaTian International Design Competition” in the title of the submission e-mail.
2. Language: English
3. Scale and dimensions must be in metric units.
4. Documents: Recognizable scanned copy of passport and student card should be attached in the e-mail. Participants are responsible for the authenticity of the documents.
5. Entry Requirements
1) Specification: The layout of the 841mm x 594mm drawing should be horizontal. Each work should be composed of 3 drawings as follows:
2) Content: The drawing should include characteristics of chosen site, relation between design the site and nature, as well as scale of intervention and other details, such as a site-plan that can fully express the design intention; plans, elevations and sections; perspective drawing, illustration and a design description of about 500 words (to be integrated in the pictures and drawings). There is no limitation on proportion.
3) A TXT document must be attached in the e-mails of the submission, which include participants’ name, registration number, e-mail address, mobile phone number, name and contact information of the advisor (if any), the full name of the school and department or full name of the design company, title of the proposal and a brief design description.
6. Submission list
1) Three A1 (841mm * 594mm) panels in landscape version
2) Booklet in A3 size (420mm*297mm),no more than 20 pages (construction material list and total cost should be included)
3) Supplementary documents (like model photos and videos) if necessary.
IX. Award Settings
First prize (1set): Honor certificate + Bonus 400,000RMB (tax included)
Second prize (3 sets): Honor certificate + Bonus 100,000RMB (tax included)
Third prize (5 sets): Honor certificate + Bonus 4,000RMB (tax included)
Outstanding prize (multiple sets): Honor certificate + UED journal for whole year
One or more Prize winning projects might be realized on site, which will be decided by the local government. The design development fees for realizing the selected project are not included in the award.
1. Individual participants and groups must agree with and follow the competition requirements and regulations. The organizing committee reserves its right of final interpretation.
2. Any words or pictures relating to the name or department of participants are not allowed in the digital drawings, otherwise the participants will be disqualified from the competition.
3. All entries are accepted with the explicit free right of publication, reproduction, and promotional use by competition organizers and sponsors without need for further approvals.
4. Entries have the opportunity to be constructed. It will be finally decided by the local government. If the work is to be realized, the designer will sign separate contracts with the government.
5. Works that have been submitted to other competitions published on other public occasions or adopt design ideas of others will be disqualified from the competition.
6. Juries cannot act as advisors to participants, otherwise participants will be disqualified from the competition.
1. ‘NaTian’ Cup International Design Competition Assignment
2. Introduction of Suqian
3. Master Plan of Site
4. Materials of NaTian Flower Farm and Santianshan Forest Park
5. Materials of the Shanshui Green Corridor
TANG Jingxian(for inquiries from Hong Kong, Macao, Taiwan and overseas countries)
Tel : +8613621393681
Address: 3rd Floor Inside-out Architect and Artist Colony, 50 Xingshikou Lu, Haidian District, Beijing, P.R.C. Post Code: 100195
Competition Email: NaTiancompetition@163.com
UED Official Website: www.uedmagazine.net/
UED Weibo: UED 城市环境设计
UED WeChat: UEDmagazine
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleOpen Call: ‘NaTian’ Cup International Design Competition—Sustainable Design, Sustainable Life
TypeCompetition Announcement (Ideas)
Registration DeadlineSeptember 15, 2017 12:00 AM
Submission DeadlineAugust 20, 2017 12:00 AM
VenueSuqian, Jiangsu provice