YAC launches Experiential Beer Garden, an architectural competition in cooperation with Unindustria (Italian Association of Industrials) aiming at the refurbishment of a dismissed industrial building that will become a cozy brewery enhancing Italian food and beer tradition. There will be a total amount of 15.000 € cash prize and the publication of awarded proposals on YAC’s website and international architecture platforms.
Beer has always been a part of human history, from Ancient Egypt (where wages were paid in beer) to Ireland (where beer was the gods’ nectar of immortality), to name but a few examples. Drinking a glass of beer does not simply mean drinking a beverage, but interacting with a millennium-old history, made of legends, religious beliefs and wisdom. It is a tradition that has been going on since time immemorial, that has come down to us through the work of the monasteries and that has now become an industry in its own right.
Although in the Modern era beer has been produced at an industrial level, today we are experiencing a shift towards artisanal production, in an enthusiastic celebration of taste and secret recipes. In this spirit, Villa Zarri – one of the leading Italian breweries – wishes to follow the most recent trends of consumption by investing in an ambitious architectural project, which will create a top-quality space for craft brewery.
The centre that Villa Zarri intends to create, within a beautiful mid 16th-century villa, will be a sanctuary for all beer lovers – a place where beer tasting will meet delicious food, culture and entertainment, within the framework of architectural beauty.
Whether German, Belgian, British or Italian, every beer variety will find an ideal place here, a place for both fine palates and less experienced beer lovers. Architectural beauty, cultural events and entertainment will contribute to making the experience of drinking beer unique. Experiential Beer Garden will be a one-of-a-kind brewery, the world’s first centre dedicated to the age-old culture of beer.
Italian passion for beer will be tangible in this centre and will accompany the cultural and entertainment events revolving around beer. Located in the heart of Emilian countryside, this centre will be an observatory that will help the visitors understand the historical and intercultural significance of beer.
- Cash prize: EUR15,000
- Subject: open architectural competition
- Target: Designers, Architects, Students, Professionals
- Location: Castel Maggiore (Bologna, Italy)
- Adam Tihany (Tihany Design), New York
- Archea Associati, Florence
- Fiorenzo Valbonesi (asv3officina di architettura), Cesena
- Guido Fini Zarri (Villa Zarri), Castel Maggiore
- Nicola Pizzoli (Unindustria), Bologna
- Belinda Gottardi (Municipality of Castel Maggiore), Castel Maggiore
- Alessandro Marata (CNAPPC), Rome
- Francesco Gulinello (UNIBO), Bologna
- 1st Prize EUR8,000
- 2nd Prize EUR4,000
- 3rd Prize EUR2,000
- 2 Gold Mentions EUR500 each
- 10 Honorable Mentions
- 30 Finalists
All awarded submissions will be published on YAC’s website and transmitted to architectural magazines and websites.
- 17/10/2016 early bird registration -opening
- 21/11/2016 (11.59 p.m. GMT ) early bird registration - ending
- 22/11/2016 standard registration - opening
- 19/12/2016 (11.59 p.m. GMT ) standard registration - ending
- 20/12/2016 late registration - opening
- 23/01/2017 (11.59 p.m. GMT ) late registration - ending
- 31/01/2017 (11.59 p.m. GMT ) materials sumbmission deadline
- 06/02/2017 jury summoning
- 06/03/2017 results publication
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleCall for Entries: Experiential Beer Garden
TypeCompetition Announcement (Ideas)
Registration Deadline23/01/2017 23:59
Submission Deadline31/01/2017 23:59
VenueCastel Maggiore, Bologna (Italy)