Collegiate institutions can start planning for the 2017 U.S. Department of Energy (DOE) Race to Zero Student Design Competition (Race to Zero), which will be held in April 2017 at the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (NREL) in Golden, Colorado.
The DOE Race to Zero inspires collegiate students to become the next generation of building science professionals through a design challenge for zero energy ready homes.
Below are key dates for the 2017 competition.
June 30, 2016 - Release of 2017 Race to Zero Competition Guide and team application opens.
November 1, 2016 - All teams must complete the team application and are encouraged to submit a 3-page design concept.
July 2016 to February 2017 - Webinars and building science training available.
February 28, 2017 - The deadline by which teams must complete the Project Progress Report. Also the deadline by which student team members confirm completion of Building Science Training.
April 4, 2017 - The deadline by which teams must upload their final Project Report Submittals.
April 22-23, 2017 - Invited teams compete with presentations to industry leaders at NREL.
The competition challenges collegiate teams to apply sound building science principles to create cost-effective, market-ready designs that meet DOE's Zero Energy Ready Homes Program requirements.
The competition has four categories. One team from each collegiate institution can submit an entry for each contest:
Attached Housing (2-6 unit rowhome projects)
Small Multifamily (up to 3 stories).
As part of DOE's Building America Program, the Race to Zero is designed to provide students with:
- An opportunity to participate in hands-on building science analysis, including an in-depth investigation of specific interactions and integration of building design
- Access to unique building science training from recognized experts and educators
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary team, which is vital to professional work
- Partnerships and networking with industry professionals and companies
- Interactions with national thought leaders about zero energy residential
- A tour of award-winning high performance buildings at NREL.
Learn more about the Race to Zero competition and the winning designs by visiting the 2016 Race to Zero results page (http://energy.gov/eere/buildings/us-department-energy-race-zero-student-design-competition), the DOE announcement, and the Facebook post.
TitleU.S. Department of Energy Race to Zero Student Design Competition 2017 (Race to Zero)
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
Registration DeadlineNovember 01, 2016 12:55 PM
Submission DeadlineApril 04, 2017 12:55 PM