In conjunction with Archtober and New York Archives Week, the Guggenheim will host its third Wikipedia edit-a-thon—or, #guggathon—to enhance articles related to women in architecture on Wikipedia, the world’s largest source of free knowledge.
Schedule of events:
12:00pm: A Petition for Justness: Women, Inclusion, and the Culture of Architecture
Peter B. Lewis Theater
· Presentation by Arielle Assouline-Lichten (Principal and Founding Partner at Slash Projects) and Caroline James (Associate, Maryann Thompson Architects), the Harvard Graduate School of Design students behind the petition to award Denise Scott Brown the 1991 Pritzker Architecture Prize. Arielle and Caroline will speak about the origins of the petition in reference to their personal histories as well as the changes related to parity in architecture that are currently underway.
· Free for those attending the noon and 2pm programs
2:00pm: Pioneering Women in American Architecture
Peter B. Lewis Theater
· Panel discussion moderated by Mary McLeod, Professor of Architecture, Planning and Preservation, Columbia University, Graduate School of Architecture, Planning and Preservation; and Victoria Rosner, Senior Associate Dean of Academic Affairs and Adjunct Associate Professor of English and Comparative Literature, Columbia University. Professors McLeod and Rosner will consider both why the contributions of women in American architecture have been overlooked and how documenting their histories can both support new approaches to architectural history and help to change the conversation about American architecture.
· Gabrielle Esperdy, Architectural historian and associate professor of architecture, New Jersey Institute of Technology;
· Anat Falbel, Architecture historian and research collaborator, State University of Campinas, Brazil;
· Dolores Hayden, Professor of Architecture, Urbanism, and American Studies, Yale University;
· Despina Stratigakos, Interim Chair and associate professor, Department of Architecture, University at Buffalo, State University of New York; and
· Roberta Washington, Historian and architect, principal, Roberta Washington Architects, PC
3:30pm: Wikipedia Editing Training
· Led by Wikimedia NYC and ArchiteXX
6:00pm: Architectural Tour of the Frank Lloyd Wright-design Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
· Led by Guggenheim associate director Megan Chusid, AIA.
TitleWikipedia Editathon: Women in Architecture
FromOctober 15, 2015 01:35 PM
UntilOctober 15, 2015 01:35 PM
VenueThe Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum
Address1071 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY