To commemorate Chile’s Bicentennial, President Sebastián Piñera Echenique has developed the “Legado Bicentenario” (Bicentennial Legacy) program to create, revitalize and consolidate public spaces/buildings of great urban/cultural importance to Chile. As part of this program, the President has decided to revitalize Santiago’s Civic Quarter, particularly Bulnes Avenue (Paseo Bulnes) and the area around it.
The Housing and Urban Development Ministry has therefore launched the “International Public Competition: Master Plan for the Bulnes Urban Axis” and is calling for urban design / architectural proposals to complete, update and revitalize Bulnes Avenue and its surroundings. The goal of this initiative is to develop a Master Plan for the area, located in the heart of the Municipality of Santiago, and revitalize its public spaces to create a suitable abutment at the southern end of Bulnes Avenue.
The First Prize Winner will receive about USD $50,000.
More info, after the break…
The competition will award three prizes and three Honorable Mentions, and will constitute the first stage of a strategy aimed at promoting greater use of these public areas.
USD / CLP parity: 1 USD equivalent approximately to CLP$ 475
- This is an anonymous competition.
- Individual architects – either Chilean or foreign – may take part.
- Teams of professionals or specialists in disciplines such as architecture, urban design / planning, landscaping, engineering, economics or administration may also take part. However, the person heading the team must be a professional architect.
- Registration as a participant is effective only after payment of the fee for the purchase of the Administrative Terms and Conditions. The amount to be paid is USD $100 (one hundred United States Dollars) or CLP $50.000 (fifty thousand Chilean pesos).
The following persons are not eligible to take part in this competition:
- The Director of the competition and the members of the Jury.
- Persons having business relationships with any of the members of the Jury, either currently or in the six months prior to the publication of the Call for Proposals.
- Relatives, including persons with any of the following types of relationship: ascendants or descendants of every degree, brothers and sisters of the half as well as the whole blood, uncles, aunts, nieces, nephews or cousins of the Director of the competition or members of the Jury.
- Professionals and employees who have taken part in the preparation of the Administrative Terms and Conditions.
- Professionals and employees who have been sentenced to imprisonment for a period of at least 3 years and one day or sanctioned for a breach of professional ethics.
- Professionals and employees who are currently under contract to, or who have been employed by the Presidency of the Republic, the Housing and Urban Development Ministry (Ministerio de Vivienda y Urbanismo), Public Works Ministry (Ministerio de Obras Públicas) or the Municipality of Santiago within the two months prior to the publication of the Call for Proposals.
Registration and Fee Submission
September 13th to October 16th, 2012
Date for Proposal Submission
November 19th, 2012