MacMag 35

© MacMag

In honor of Mackintosh’s Glasgow School of Art’s centennial, student editors Gareth Hanly, Rachel Houghton, Cathryn Lavery, Kieran Sheehan and Katy Holbrook, have designed, produced and published MacMag 35 to document the entire celebration year. Compiled in over 300 pages of crisp graphics and imagery, this year’s magazine provides a true insight into not only the design philosophies of the school, but also gives us a taste of what it is like to experience the famous building.

More about the magazine after the break.

The pages highlight some of the most creative output from the School of Architecture with projects ranging from small pavilions to larger residential and cultural visions.

© MacMag

Amidst the pages of student models, rendering, diagrams and thoughts, the editors feature several interviews. Fittingly, the team has interviewed Steven Holl, as he is set to design the new GSA campus (check out our previous coverage of the project), Holl’s associate Noah Yaffe, and Henry McKeown – not only an earlier editor of MacMag but also the co-director of JM Architects who will be working with Holl on the project.

© MacMag
© MacMag

Toward the end of the publication, a great section highlights the International design charette organized by Fred Smith and Johnny Rodger that asked student and professional teams from around the world to design a building which would sit next to Mackintosh’s creation.  The overwhelming response from the teams (participation included teams from Denmark, Venice, Barcelona, Illinois, and Tokyo to name a few) demonstrates the impact Mackintosh’s building continues to have on people within the architectural realm.

© MacMag

Overall, the magazine is a beautiful honor to the school and provides a thorough, yet creative, means of organizing an entire year of celebration. Congratulations to the student editors on a job well done – and be sure to check out more on this publication here.

© MacMag
© MacMag

About this author
Cite: Karen Cilento. "MacMag 35" 16 Oct 2010. ArchDaily. Accessed . <https://www.archdaily.com/82073/macmag-35> ISSN 0719-8884

You've started following your first account!

Did you know?

You'll now receive updates based on what you follow! Personalize your stream and start following your favorite authors, offices and users.