Project Area: 5.163 sqm
Partner Architects: B. Huidobro
Agency Of Urbanism And Architecture: archi5prod
The city of Belfort was planned to control the passage between the Jura and Vogos. Vauban designed the pentagonal plan in 1687 and General Haxo complete it and reorganized it in 1817. The Hatry fort, where today is located the sports and events center of Belfort, was a stronghold of defense of this city. The geometry of the fortifications does not come from orthogonal urban grid but from multiple directions designed to control the movement and intended to provide clear views.
Fort Hatry became a park for leisure and outdoor activities. Here you can find amusement parks and circuses. Today is a transitional space, an infrastructural node where roads and railways move at different levels and at different speeds. The new building provides a direct link with the nearby Vosges Mountains and the Belfort castle. The building serves as a public building and urban catalyst, a central place for meetings, sports and cultural events. The design of the new building creates a strong contrast with the stone walls.
The facade has a flexible movement along the landscape and recalls the dynamism of sports activities. Concave and convex folds react to straight lines. A translucent glass covers the building allowing the entrance of natural light. At night, the building becomes a bright beacon that reflects the events that take place within it. It is firmly anchored to the hillside and the glass fits perfectly into the artificial topography. In turn, the glass appear to be separated, almost floating.
It seems that the new structure has always been there. The contrast between the orthogonal field and the free lines around the building expresses two aspects of sport: first, the discipline and rigor, and sensuality. The sports venue is the center of the place, it has public circulation that opens directly into the game field. By locating this space around the field, an interlayer is formed between the stadium and the city. The stands are arranged on the two long sides of the game field and give strength to the space.
The two shorter sides remain open to the entrance and public circulation and is assigned to the standing spectators as a place that allows a different perception of the game; fluent and informal. The proximity of the audience to the players break down traditional barriers between them.