This week our Architecture City Guide is headed to the city stars fall on. With a few notable exceptions, one can hardly be called a starchitect if s/he hasn’t designed something in Minneapolis. Since 2005 the starchitects that have fallen on this “City of Lakes” include Jean Nouvel, Herzog & de Mueron, César Pelli, Michael Graves, Steven Holl, and Frank Gehry. This is a surprising number for a city just north of 380,000 people. Few cities of this size could boast as much. What’s more our list of 12 is far from complete. There are many wonderful historic and contemporary buildings mixed in with the explosion of starchitecture. Please leave comments of buildings one should not miss when visiting Minneapolis.
Architecture City Guide: Minneapolis list and corresponding map after the break!
- Guthrie Theater / Jean Nouvel
- Walker Art Center / Herzog & de Meuron
- Central Hennepin County Library/ Pellie Clarke Pelli
- IDS Tower / Philip Johnson & John Burgee
- Rarig Center for the Performing Arts / Ralph Rapson
- Children’s Theatre Company / Michael Graves & Associates
- Northwestern National Life Insurance Co. / Yamasaki & Associates
- Mill City Museum / Meyer Scherer & Rockcastle
- University of Minnesota Amplatz Children’s Hospital / Tsoi/Kobus & Associates with Hammel, Green & Abrahamason
- KNOCK Inc. / Julie Snow Architects
- College of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, UMINN / Steven Holl Architects
- Christ Church Lutheran / Eliel Saarinen
Coming October 2011: Weisman Art Museum Minneapolis / Frank Gehry