Paul Laurendeau Architects shared with us their winning competition entry for the Trois-Rivières Amphitheatre in Quebec, Canada. The centerpiece of the proposed Three Rivers on the St. Lawrence is to build an outdoor amphitheater with a capacity of 10,000 seats. For the realization of the amphitheater, the municipality has chosen to proceed with this design for a building of international significance. More images and architects’ description after the break.
Since the early 2000s, the City of Three Rivers has developed a major redevelopment project for a site overlooking the banks of the St. Lawrence River. The quality of the location of this site, formerly an industrial in linking the harbor park, downtown, the St. Lawrence River and Ile Saint-Quentin, calls for intervention majestic, harmonious and dynamic. Several planned infrastructures (walks, plazas, public spaces, cultural facilities) that make up the project will be as an anchor at the crossroads of one of the most important waterways in North America and the majestic Saint-Maurice River.
Taking into account the objectives of the program and the evaluation criteria set out in the contest rules, the jury wanted to emphasize that the winning project stood out by:
- The elegance of its monumental character and his generous opening to the river St. Maurice and St. Lawrence River that will help the image of the city of Trois-Rivieres.
- The quality of its implementation, the development of the site and the quality of public spaces residents.
- The quality of interior spaces in terms of natural light.
- Clarity and simplicity of the spatial organization.
- The quality of the proposed tectonic.
The jury particularly noted the importance of what this project will be as a structuring element in the development of the proposed Three Rivers on the St. Lawrence.
Architect: Paul Laurendeau Architecte
Location: Trois-Rivieres, Quebec, Canada
Surface total : 14 000 m2 / 150 700 p2
Total area: 14,000 m2 / 150,700 ft2
Budget : $34,000,000
Roof Structure: Arcora Engineering
Outdoor: vlan landscapes
Standards and codes: Technorm Inc.