CharacteristicsDimensional stability, durability and natural UV resistance, improved insulation characteristics, coatings last longer than on competing products, ICC
Format100% solid Accoya® wood; modified to the core using a non-toxic proprietary acetylation process
SizesDimensions 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4, 10/4,12/4 Lengths 7’10”, 9’10”, 11’9”, 13’9”, 15’9”
CertificationCradle to Cradle Gold certification, FSC® and PEFC™, BREEAM and LEED, The Future Build, Singapore Green Label, Dubokeur
GuaranteeWarranted against rot and decay for 50-years above ground; 25-years in-ground/freshwater
Accoya® wood is the result of decades of research and development that has brought together a long-established, extensively proven wood modification technique and leading-edge patented technology – acetylation to create a high performance wood, ideal for outdoor use and challenging applications.
- Durability: EN 113 Class 1 (the highest rating; comparable to the best teak). Accoya® Wood acts as an effective barrier against a broad spectrum of fungi including cellar, wet rot, dry rot, soft rot, white, brown and pore fungi. Verified by the American Wood Protection Assosation (AWPA) E10 test.
- Lifespan: Accoya® wood is warranted against rot and decay for 50-years above ground; 25-years in-ground/freshwater.
- Effective barrier to attack against insects and pests: Accoya® wood is indigestible by a wide range of pests and insects (including termites), resulting in an effective barrier to attack. Verified by AWPA E1 test.
- Physical Properties: Accoya® wood is high performance wood: equilibrium moisture content is significantly lower, hardness is increased, bending strength and stiffness is retained, and the thermal conductivity is reduced resulting in improved insulation characteristics: - Equilibrium Moisture Content: 3-5% - Density: 32 lb/cu ft - Shrink/Swell: 0.7% Radial / 1.5% Tangential- Janka Hardness: 922 lbf side / 1484 lbf end- Bending Strength: 12,144 psi- Bending Stiffness: 1,297,492 psi
- Fire Rating: Class C (ASTM E84) as with most woods; can be fire retardant-treated to meet higher requirement.
- Machinability: Accoya® wood is a low moisture content, kiln-dried material that is harder than the original wood species. Accoya® wood machines more like a hardwood and requires no special tools for cross cutting, ripping, planing, routing, or drilling.
- Disposal: Accoya® wood is non-toxic, can be reused when no longer needed or can be disposed like regular wood.
- Gluing: Accoya® wood can be glued using many commonly used wood adhesive systems. Particularly good results are obtained with polyurethane (PU), emulsion polymer isocyanate (EPI), epoxy and phenol resorcinol formaldehyde (PRF) adhesives.
- Fasteners & other Hardware: Corrosion-resistant, high-quality 304 or 316 stainless steel or naval brass fasteners are recommended. Chrome-plated, aircraft anodized aluminum or proprietary epoxy or ceramic-coated fasteners may be a suitable alternative. Zinc plated or galvanized steel are not recommended.
- Coatings: Many high quality outdoor approved wood coating systems are compatible with Accoya® wood. Leading coating manufacturers have found that the extraordinary dimensional stability of Accoya® wood allows their wood coatings to last three or more times longer.
*Specific recommendations for your project are available upon request.
- Wood sourced from sustainable forests
- Manufactured using Accoya's patented modification process
- Properties exceed all the best tropical hardwoods
- Uses less energy than cement, glass, steel and aluminium when utilised as a building material
- Its manufacture emits less greenhouse gas than other major competing materials such as PVC, aluminium and unsustainably sourced tropical hardwoods
- Outperforms aluminium, spruce and tropical hardwoods
- LEED: Accoya®, the world-leading modified wood product from Accsys Technologies now contributes to three direct LEED certification credits following a recent update of the LEED certification system by the U.S. Green Building Council, which is driving the adoption of high performance, eco-friendly materials in sustainable building projects.
- Cradle-To-Cradle: GOLD Overall Certification Level
Learn more about Accoya Wood:
Accoya - Brand Film
Building Science - What is Accoya wood?
Building Science: The Durability of Accoya wood
Building Science: Innovation in Wood
The making of an Accoya® sink - Wood Design Factory