With light materials and generous openings, this private residence in Sausalito, California embraces its natural surroundings. Designed by architect Obie G. Bowman, the house blends seamlessly into a hillside that overlooks the San Francisco Bay and is characterized by wood finishes and ample natural light. While the interior space is welcoming, the extensive use of glazing led to uncomfortably warm temperatures. Thus, the homeowner had 3M's™ Sun Control Window Film installed to control internal heat while maintaining a visual connection with the outdoor landscape.
In the living room, there are 30 east-facing glass panes, with additional windows and skylights located throughout the residence. This extensive use of glazing in a warm climate like Sausalito led to increasingly warm interior temperatures, especially towards the morning and in the summer months. To prevent this without incorporating shades that would block the impressive views, the homeowner chose the 3M™ Sun Control Window Film Prestige 70 series as a solution. With almost 650 ft2 of 3M's Sun Control Window Film, temperatures inside the house decreased by 10°-15°.
3M™ Sun Control Window Film Prestige 70 Benefits
- Enhanced comfort and protection by reflecting 97% of infrared light and maintaining cool temperatures indoors
- Low interior and exterior reflectivity allows attractive views from both inside and outside
- Prestige Series Films are non-metalized to prevent corrosion from humidity and signal interference on electronic devices
- Significantly blocks UV rays
- Prestige Series Films can become carbon negative only six months after installation