The marble quarries of Vermont have a long and prestigious history starting back in 1767. It was not until Colonel Proctor, in 1869, bought what was then the Vermont Marble Company that the industry took on substantial growth. In 1884, the unincorporated village of Sutherland Falls officially became incorporated, and the town was named Proctor. The big rush of the marble industry had begun. At one time Vermont Marble Company employed more than 4,000 men; had offices, quarries, and shops throughout the U.S. and distributed 1 million cubic feet of marble around the globe annually.