As spatial practitioners, we are often presented with uncomfortable relationships, forcing us to choose sides and make decisions. We are constantly challenged to rethink how we embrace the dynamics between architecture, and external forces.
Ultimately, we envisage architecture as a tool to comment, critique, dismantle and reposition a condition. As it is secretly the dark fetish of a designer to wipe the slate clean, a tabula rasa, what if you were presented with a work-in-progress new city?
Hengqin Island is that city.
Hengqin was a sleepy, rural community on the other side of a narrow river across from the city turned world- class gambling Mecca after the local gaming license was liberalised. Located in Macau’s Cotai Strip, its location, along with social and physical up-coming advancements makes it an ideal place for architectural experimentation and exploration.
The unprecedented Covid-19 pandemic has dealt a serious blow to the gaming industry, prompting the Macau SAR, Guangdong and Hengqin to seek new paths for economic diversification.
Beyond the ‘2022 Development plan’, there are clearly physical and social gaps in its conception. Public infrastructures and the conveniences of life have forgotten; cast aside in favour of Layer 01: economic diversification.
Now that the Development Plan has settled, we ask that you, the designer: intervene to plug the gaps of the life it hasn’t yet accounted for.
Layer 02 - more socially sustainable designs
- 6 DRAWINGS + 500 WORDS
- Submit six drawings (Isometric drawings of different scales x 2)
- Drawings of your choice x 3
- Render of the best perspective x 1
- 1-minute fly-through animation (it’s optional)
- Approximately 500 words in word/pdf/txt text file explaining your design concept with a title for the design
- THE BEST OVERALL PROJECT – 1500 EURO
- THE BEST RESEARCH – 200 EURO
- THE BEST TECHNICAL DESIGN – 200 EURO
- THE BEST ANIMATION – 200 EURO
- THE BEST ISO – 100 EURO
- THE BEST RENDER – 100 EURO
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleOpen Call: [Layer 02. City] more socially sustainable designs
TypeCompetition Announcement (Ideas)
Registration DeadlineSeptember 04, 2022 11:30 PM
Submission DeadlineSeptember 18, 2022 11:30 PM