How architecture can adapt to the times considering the COVID-19 pandemic and the adverse effects of Climate change.
The inaugural ATO Design > VR Competition invites young architects and students of architecture.
The competition is a response to the events and experiences of the year 2020 and a part of 2021 where the entire world experienced uncertainty and was forced to rethink every assumption we had of the workplace, public buildings and even the home. It also casts an eye on the larger looming debate of climate change.
STRATEGIC DESIGN CONSIDERATIONS
Participants should carefully consider advances in technology, the exploration of sustainable systems, multi-functionality of spaces, temporary structures, and how virtual and inhabited worlds can co-exist. In answering the question, the design should reflect the following:
1. Passive design strategies (Orientation, building form and Building Envelope)
2. Sustainable Urban Context (Green corridors, integrated building design, grey water
harvesting, urban heat island mitigation, etc.)
3. Internal passive comfort and adaptive internal spaces.
4. Harnessing sustainable technology.
5. Justification on choice of building typology.
6. Evidence of Adaptive architecture in Design.
1. Site Size: 4500-9000sqm
2. Location: Anywhere in Nigeria (Design must reflect response to micro-climate in area of choice).
3. Building Typology: Residential (Multilevel apartments as well), Commercial, Institutional or Mixed-Use.
4. Building Height: 3-5 suspended floors.
We are looking for a new kind of adaptive yet sustainable design capable of seamlessly merging the inhabited and virtual worlds in a way that is sensitive to an African context.
1. Participants will be allowed to use 3D software & VR tools of their choice for illustration and presentation.
2. Through their presentation, participants must show strong link between virtual and physical audience.
3. Participants must adopt use of augmented reality in their design.
There will be no restrictions on the program or methodology to adopt towards the development of the design. The objective is to provide freedom to the participants to creatively answer the question of how architecture can be more adaptive to topical challenges of COVID-19 and Climate change. Participants will also be expected to present their design concepts in VR format.
Participants will be required to register though this link: bit.ly/ATODesignVRCompetition before receiving the Competition Brief.
November 1, 2021 – Competition announcement and registration opens.
November 19, 2021 – Submission deadline
December 1, 2021 – Shortlist announcement
December 8, 2021 – Winner announcement
- 3-month internship contract at ATO Architects.
- Public recognition at the 9th ATO Annual Lecture.
- Certificate of Participation.
Tosin Oshinowo, Principal, CMDesignAtelier
Adeyemo Shokunbi, Partner, PatrickWaheed Consultancy
Ekaete Bassey-Fujah, Managing Director, ATO Architects.
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleATO Design > VR Competition: Adapting to the Future
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
Registration DeadlineNovember 19, 2021 12:00 AM
Submission DeadlineNovember 01, 2021 12:00 AM