Join the American Institute of Architects New York's (AIANY) Emerging New York Architects Committee (ENYA), the Future of Practice Committee, and a distinguished body of global computational design leaders on Saturday, November 6, for a one-day symposium and workshop to explore how computational thinking can be used to solve design problems.
In our morning session, cutting-edge innovators will reflect on how computational thinking has influenced their work. Afterwards, workshop tables led by the speakers will conceive of computational solutions to complex, topical problems. Symposium attendees will be empowered to approach the impending future of computation in architecture with confidence.
Event format: Hybrid (both virtual and in-person). Proof of vaccination (for those 12 and over) and masking are required in order to attend in person. Food and beverages will be served. Masks are recommended when not actively consuming food and beverages.
Required Reading: “Computational Thinking” (2006) by Jeannette M. Wing, Director of the Data Science Institute and Professor of Computer Science at Columbia University
- Sandeep Ahuja, Co-founder and CEO, Cove.Tool
- Roderick Bates, Head of Integrated Practice, Enscape
- Robert Cervellione, AIA, AEC Workflow Specialist, Nvidia
- Chang-Yeon Cho, AIA, Spatial Intelligence Director for Intelligent Places, Gensler
- Randy Deutsch, FAIA, Clinical Associate Professor, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign
- Emily Goldman, Assistant Director of NYC Civic Innovation Fellows Program, BetaNYC
- Kayleigh Houde, AIA, Global Computational Community Leader, Buro Happold
- Carlo Ratti, Professor of Urban Technologies & Planning, Director at SENSEable City Lab, MIT
- Lorenzo Villaggi, Senior Research Scientist, The Living, Autodesk
- Violet Whitney, Director of Product Management, Sidewalk Labs
- Willy L. Zambrano, AIA, AIA National Strategic Council - NY Region Representative
- 9:00 AM – 9:30 AM Breakfast & Networking
- 9:30 AM – 9:45 AM Welcome & Introductions
- 9:45 AM – 10:15 AM Keynote #1 (Randy D.)
- 10:15 AM – 11:30 AM Industry Showcase (Kayleigh H., Violet W., Robert C., Lorenzo V.)
- 11:30 AM – 12:45 PM Moderated Panel (Sandeep A., Roderick B., Chang-Yeon C., Emily G., Willy Z.)
- 12:45-1:25 Lunch & Networking
- 1:25 PM – 1:30 PM Welcome back
- 1:30 PM – 2:00 PM Keynote #2 (Carlo R.)
- 2:00 PM – 2:15 PM Workshop Introduction
- 2:15 PM – 4:15 PM Workshops
- 4:15 PM – 4:45 PM Workshop Presentations
- 4:45 PM – 5:00 PM Closing statements
Download the information related to this event here.
TitleFutureNow 2021: Computational Thinking for a Changing World
FromNovember 06, 2021 09:00 AM
UntilNovember 06, 2021 05:00 PM
VenueThe Center for Architecture (AIANY)