EMERGING ARCHITECTS SELECTION & EXHIBITION GEMSS’21 APPLICATIONS BEGIN!
The Circle invites young architects to apply for Emerging Architects Selection & Exhibition - GEMSS'21. This is the second edition of GEMSS and is organized under the main sponsorship of VitrA. GEMSS'21 aims to record the innovative works of young architects and teams under 40 and present them to large audiences. Deadline for applications is August 30th.
GEMSS, which is held every two years, is organized with the intention to increase the recognition of young architects under the age of 40 from Turkey on national and international platforms, and to create an up-to-date archive of what contemporary architecture is at this moment in time. With its more inclusive, pluralistic and international structure, GEMSS'21 welcomes all alternative practices and emphasizes the diversity of the ways in which architecture is practiced.
The selection committee of GEMSS’21 consists of architects, academics, artists and construction industry professionals. Under the moderation of Sait Ali Köknar, Ömer Selçuk Baz, Pelin Derviş, Murat Germen, Tülin Hadi, Luca Molinari, Erden Timur and Şebnem Yalınay Çinici come together to form this year’s selection committee. The second edition of GEMSS will be carried out as a hybrid activity on both physical and online platforms and in addition to the exhibition, it will be supported by a program of panels, talks, online publications and a selection book.
GEMSS’21, which is open to individual architects and teams from Turkey who have produced a work with an architectural, intellectual, scientific, artistic or social dimension that significantly contributes to the culture of architecture, has started with an Open Call on July 7th 2021, and will continue with events extending throughout 2021 and 2022. The results will be announced during the World Architecture Week and parallel events will be organized in October and November 2021. The year will end with the award ceremony and exhibition opening in December. In 2022, the program will continue with GEMSS campus events. After the exhibition in The Circle's physical space, the GEMSS'21 exhibition will be moved to different locations in Turkey and abroad.
The applications are opened till August 30th 2021 via the digital form at www.thecircle-o.com/gemss-21
GEMSS’21 Selection Committee:
- Ömer Selçuk Baz – Architect, Co-Founder / Yalın Architecture
- Pelin Derviş – Architect, Independent Researcher, Author, Editor / Pelin Derviş Publication Project
- Murat Germen – Artist, Academician
- Tülin Hadi – Architect, Co-Founder / TECE Architecture
- Luca Molinari – Architect, Writer, Curator / Luca Molinari Studio
- Erden Timur – Chairman of the Board of Directors / NEF
- Şebnem Yalınay – Architect, Academician / Istanbul Bilgi University
Selection Committee Moderator:
- Sait Ali Köknar – Architect, Academician / Kadir Has University
- Open Call: July 7th 2021
- Application Deadline: August 30th 2021
- Evaluation of the Selection Committee: September 2021 (To be held online)
- Announcement of Results: October 4th 2021
- Parallel Events: October - December 2021
- Award Ceremony & Hybrid Exhibition: December 2021
- Publication: December 2021
- International Exhibition: 2022
- GEMSS Campus Events: 2022
Download the information related to this competition here.
TitleEmerging Architects Selection & Exhibiton 2021
TypeGrants, Scholarships & Awards
Submission DeadlineAugust 30, 2021 11:30 PM
VenueThe Circle Space