Background of Competition:
1)The target is this design competition 「The Library of SONGDO International City」 is a key indicator to carry out the purpose of Incheon-city which orients ‘An International City of Northeast Asia to the World’ and is an important challenge to expand the cultural infrastructure of the local residents.
2) Incheon Metropolitan City is the purpose of the 「Happy & Plentiful Culture Incheon with Citizens」 that orients ‘the city close to culture spaces’ through boosting culture spaces, for this, a public library is an essential tool to tighten the culture approach of citizens as the key infrastructure facilities of a living SOC which the government is promoting.
3)This library has upgraded its role as the place of information communication for the citizens and has the publicity as a central library of Incheon that orients the public platform for the people-focused community based on culture and art functions.
1) Site Address: # 115-2, Songdo-dong, Yeonsu-gu, Incheon (in Songdo International City), S. Korea
2) Zoning District: 2nd General Residential District, 1st District Unit Plan Area (in an International Business Complex), Intensive Landscape Management Zone
3) Site Size: 9,427.4㎡
4) Required Total Floor Area: 8,000㎡(allowable within ±3% )
5) Estimated Construction Cost: 24.973 billion KRW( 20.81 million us dollars /1 us dollar =1,200 KRW)
6) Estimated Design Fee: 1,546 million KRW ( 1.288 million us dollars/1 us dollar =1,200 KRW)
7) Competition Period: November 25(Wed.), 2020 ~ March 02, 2021
8) Design Period: 11 months after signing a design contract
1) This design competition aims to obtain creative and sophisticated design works with an international sense to establish 「The Library of SONGDO International City」 as an intellectual and cultural symbol of the Songdo citizens for progressing as an international city.
2) The purpose is to re-organize to be an sustainable culture space with publicity as well as a local identification, and not just an independent structure, that is based on creative ideas for a spatial challenge as its location feature and as a library through understanding the urban and architectural context of IFEZ(Incheon Free Economic Zone) Songdo International City.
THEME: Public Library (open to all/ International)
1) City view that puts together the local architecture, urban history and future
2) Spatial and urban engagement and expandability as a complex cultural space
3) Securing the optimal design quality through integrated designing
4) Facility planning for everyone
5) Design to create pleasant environments and reasonable(sustainable) energy uses
PARTICIPATION ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA:
1) For Korean architects, it shall be an architect, completing the business registration and running the business pursuant to the 「Certified Architects Act)」 of Korea as of the date of the notification and the architect shall be running an architectural business with no cause of disqualification pursuant to the relevant laws and regulations.
2) In the case of foreign architects, they shall be a qualified architect according to the laws of their countries by the time of the announcement date, and if winning, they will be able to conclude a service contract only if they have formed a joint body with a qualified Korean architect according to the related laws.
1) Announcement: November 25, 2020
2) Registration: Nov. 25(Wed) ~ Dec. 31(Thur), 2020
3)Entry Submission: February 22, 2021
4)Main Jury: February 26-27, 2021
5) Result Announcement: Mar. 2 (Tue), 2021
No. Name Nationality Title
1 John Enright (USA) Griffin Enright Architects, Principal
2 Louis Becker(Denmark) Henning Larsen, Partner & Design Principal
3 Robert Greenwood (UK) Snohetta, Partner
4 Lim, Jae Y.(Korea) OCA(Office of Contemporary Architecture), Principal
5 Lee, Eun-Seok(Korea) Kyunghee University, Professor
6 Lim, Jong Yup(Preliminary Jury, Korea), Inha University, Professor
5 winning proposals will be selected. Competition winners will be a
warded as follows:
1)1st Prize: Design Development and Construction Document priority rights (1,546 million KRW (1.288 million us dollars/ 1 us dollar=1,200 KRW))
2)2nd Prize (1 entry): 50 million KRW (41,667 us dollars/ 1=1,200 KRW))
3)3rd Prize (1 entry): 30million KRW (25,000 us dollars/ 1=1,200 KRW
4) 4th Prize (2 entries): 10million KRW (8,333 us dollars/ 1=1,200 KRW
5) Honorary Mentions (within 10 entries): Awards
ORGANISERS DETAILS: Korea Institute of Architects
CONTACT DETAILS: email@example.com
LINK TO THE COMPETITION WEBSITE: http://www.sdic-library.org
TitleInternational Competition for Library; SONGDO International City, S. Korea
TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
Registration DeadlineDecember 31, 2020 05:00 PM
Submission DeadlineFebruary 22, 2021 05:00 PM
VenueSongdo International Library