A few kilometers at the South East of Orange, in the municipality of Courthézon, the Château de Beaucastel vineyard spreads over 130 hectares. The vineyard, where legendary wines are produced, is the jewel of the Perrin Family, already famous among wine lovers in France and worldwide.
The castle has kept extending since the mansion was built by Pierre de Beaucastel at the heart of the estate, in the XVIIth century. Various extensions were made in order to suit the owners’ needs along time until the castle got its actual shape. This composite assembly includes buildings whose architectural quality is not always consistent with that of the wines stored therein.
Considering this situation, the Perrin Family, motivated by a need for space linked with the development of their business, wishes to take advantage of this need to extend the estate in order to consider an overall renovation project.
This architectural competition is organized in order to entrust the Château de Beaucastel renovation project to an architecture firm chosen not due to its reputation but for the quality of its proposal.
Therefore, this competition is not a simple occasion of imagining a new extension for Beaucastel winery. It is mainly an opportunity for immersion into the Perrin family’s world, to understand their values and work methods in which relationship with the country is of utmost importance. The competition aims at designing a project embodying these values, whilst offering smart solutions with regard to site-specific difficulties and program requirements. Download the information related to this competition here.
Purpose of the competition:
Beaucastel winery extension and renovation project.
Approximately 2 500 m² to be demolished, 4 000 m² to be created and 1 000 m² to be renovated (floor surface area). These surface areas may vary depending on proposals.
Terms of participation:
- Teams selected on the basis of their application: between 6 and 10 teams allowed to compete.
- Finalists selected on the basis of their project intentions: between 3 and 6 finalist teams.
- Application deadline: 12 March 2018
- Announcement of the teams allowed to compete: 6 April 2018
- Presentation of project intentions : 16 & 17 May 2018
- Project submission deadline: 30 June 2018
- Presentation of projects by the competitors: 05 & 06 July 2018
- Free of charge until 28 February 2018.
- From 1 to 12 March 2018, late registration fees shall amount to EUR 80 excluding tax.
Allowance to the teams admitted to compete:
- Teams allowed to compete: EUR 2 000 excluding tax per team.
- Finalist teams: additional EUR 10 000 excluding tax per team.
Building cost and architect's fees:
- Estimated budget for works: between 8 and 10 million € excluding tax.
- Forecast architect’s fees: 7,5% of the amount of the works (excluding technical consultants).
- Full service + design/choice of the furniture + landscaping + signing
Entries can be submitted online.
The full competition brief can be downloaded here.
TitleCall for Entries: Domaine de Beaucastel Winery
TypeCompetition Announcement (Built Projects & Masterplans)
Registration DeadlineMarch 12, 2018 11:00 PM
Submission DeadlineJune 30, 2018 11:00 PM
VenueChâteau de Beaucastel
AddressChemin de Beaucastel, 84350
PriceFree until February 28