Zoom image | View original size
Galeotas House is a set of several buildings originally dedicated to storage and housing, constructed between the18th and the 20th centuries and considerably damaged at the starting point of the project development. The intervention aims at preparing the site to host the headquarters of UCCLA - União das Cidades Capitais de Língua Luso-Afro-Amero-Asiáticas - and CAL - Casa da América Latina -. Located in the river front of the city, surrounded by Rua da Junqueira and Avenida da Índia, the site faces the embankment constructed during the 19th and the 20th centuries. The first register of this complex in the city plans dates from 1807. However, this document only shows the west side building of the complex. It is necessary to wait about a hundred years to see the whole complex represented in Silva Pinto’s 1911 plan. The site includes industrial / storage areas on the ground floor and residential areas upstairs with some humble apartments, probably occupied by employees, and another one, whose bourgeois character indicates the occupation by the factory owner. All buildings – east, south and west – compose a U form. View more View full description
Share Share