Zoom image | View original size
Building O by META strengthens the heart of the UA-campus in Antwerp. META and TRACTEBEL with Storimans Wijffels architects completed for the University of Antwerp an auditorium and research building. Building O houses 3 faculties. “By paying special attention to the structure, we were able to dispense with several layers of finishing. The result is a solid, student-resistant construction.” [ Niklaas Deboutte, META architectuurbureau ] 
“Building O is a bright and compact volume, an eye catcher for the campus but with the smallest possible spatial stamp.” [ Eric Soors, META architectuurbureau ] Mirror symmetry in a readable building 
Building O is a bright and compact volume that, on the one hand, is intended to be an eye-catcher on the campus. On the other hand, it was also required to leave the smallest possible spatial stamp on the site. 
The balance between affirmation and integration, and the unifying role of Building O, resulted in a universal building with a double entrance section that is mirrored diagonally. The four auditoria on each of levels -1 and +1 are arranged around the central atrium, the large skylight of which permits zenithal daylight to penetrate to the underground level. The ground floor accommodates shared functions and the large entrance-cum-meeting rooms. Four compact stairwells lead off from this area. The upper level (+3) is reserved for the laboratory and microscopy rooms. View more View full description
Share Share