The theatre was built in 1966-67. Now it is an abandoned municipal building. The theatre needs to be reconstructed/rebuilt taking into account current needs of the Cherkasy community. In summer 2015 our local volunteers team voiced the intention for revitalising Sylvan theatre and started a fundraising campaign. Thanks to the city community we have accumulated funds which will be the prize for this competition winner. We also polled participants of the fundraising campaign to discover their preferences for ways of the money application and for the concept of the future theatre. So Cherkasy citizens vote for the architecture projects competition. Requirements for projects are also based on the poll results.
First prize project will be applied for the municipal funding and grant programs to bring it into life. We’re also going to involve local community to fundraising and realization of the project. First prize winner will be the preferable applicant for the contract with the urban municipality to develop a comprehensive technical documentation for the project.
Who is invited?
Competition is open to professionals and students of all countries, with the requirement that they either be in, or previously graduated from, a professional/registered university with a degree in one of the following: architecture, urban design, urban planning, landscape architecture, or engineering.
$1000 first prize. The winner will have a priority in getting a contract with the urban municipality to develop a comprehensive technical documentation.
We’re in the process of jury forming now. We’re going to involve progressive architects from Cherkasy, other Ukrainian cities and all over the world, representatives of city architecture department and city park administration. The jury will be presented before the end of April.
Vital aspects that need to be addressed:
- Park is woodlike and has a lot of old pine trees which should be saved.
- Abilities for movies screening
- Space will be freely open to the public when not in use for performances and movies. However, there should be an ability to constrain the access for the night time and for the commercial events (movies shows, concerts).
- Dynamic roofing or tent which could be easily mounted/unmount depending on weather conditions. Should protect from sun rays and rain.
- Natural materials and shapes as much as possible. Theatre should be a part of surrounding nature.
- Amphitheatre (semicircular stage) preferable.
- Seats, benches or terraces for 500-800 audience members.
- July 31, 2016 - Projects Submission Deadline
- August 14, 2016 - Short List Selection Deadline (by jury)
- August 15 - September 15, 2016 - Public Discussion and Polling
- September 15, 2016 - 1st Prize Winner Determination
- General layout
- Floor plan (if needed)
- Sectional elevation
- Elevations (panes)
- 2-3 isometric projections.
- Concept description 1 page.
- Presentation board - А0 (841 x 1189mm) landscape orientation.
TitleCall for Submissions: Open Air Theatre (Sylvan) for Cherkasy City Park
TypeCall for Submissions
OrganizersNGO Promolod Cherkasy, Ukraine
Registration Deadline31/07/2016 08:18
Submission Deadline31/07/2016 08:18
VenueCherkasy City Park, Ukraine