THEME: Architecture in Transformation
TOPIC: Concept and Notation
JURY CHAIRMAN: Bernard Tschumi
REGISTRATION DEADLINE: June 30, 2016
SUBMISSION DEADLINE: August 31, 2016
-Architecture is not so much a knowledge of form as a form of knowledge.
-Architecture is the materialization of concepts.
-Concept, not form, is what distinguishes architecture from mere building.
-A bicycle shed with a concept is architecture; a cathedral without one is not.
-Architecture is the discourse of events as much as the discourse of spaces.
-Architecture is not only what it looks like, but also what it does.
-Vectors activate; envelopes define.
2016 marks the fifth edition of UIA-HYP Cup International Student Competition in Architectural Design, the sole annual international architecture competition for students in Mainland China that receives the support of Union International des Architects (UIA). It is a platform for global architecture students to approach the theme “Architecture in Transformation”, and for the rest of the world to check out the latest trend of Chinese architectural education. The jury members include the leading architects, deans and directors from top architecture schools. With its challenging topics, prestigious jury panel as well as professional operation, UIA-HYP Cup competition has grown to become a major student competition in China and its global profile continues to rise.
III. Purpose of Competition
Architecture almost exclusively uses visual means to outline what it does: Plans, Sections, Elevations, Perspectives, Axonometrics. But what about movement—the movement of bodies in space? Are there modes of notation applicable to what has been excluded from architectural discourse? What about the other four senses—touch, sound, smell, and why not taste? In this competition, you will invent new modes of notation that not only include the proposed movement of bodies in space, but also lead to an architectural concept, namely an overriding idea that directs the development of your scheme.
The program will act as an urban generator. By this, we mean a place that can foster and encourage new modes of living unknown till today.
Precedents: Lazlo Moholy-Nagy, Sergei Eisenstein and John Cage
1. Participants must choose one of the following five programs: library, museum, clinic, love hotel, cemetery.
2. The site is a hypothetical freestanding block in an urban area anywhere in the world. Its size is 30m by 60m and 30m high.
3. Language and Measurement Unit: English is the official language of the competition.
(Note: The title, school name, name of participants, and introduction of design must be described in English at least); the unit of measurement is metric scale. )
Union International des Architectes (UIA)
School of Architecture, Tianjin University;
Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine
College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Xi`an University of Architecture and Technology
Chinese National Supervision Committee of Higher Architecture Education;
Chinese National Evaluation Committee of Higher Architecture Education;
Architecture Art Committee of China Artists Association
Shanghai Hyp-arch Architectural Design Consultant Inc.
School of Architecture, Tsinghua University；College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Tongji University；School of Architecture ,Southeast University; School of Architecture, South China University of Technology; Faculty of Architecture and Urban Planning, Chongqing University; School of Architecture, Harbin Institute of Technology
The University of Hong Kong; The Chinese University of Hong Kong; National Cheng Kung University; Tunghai University; Chung Yuan Christian University; TamKang University; Zhejiang University; China Central University of Sience; Dalian University of Technology; Hunan University; Nanjing University; Peking University; Beijing University of Civil Engineering and Architecture; Hefei Industrial University; Shenyang University of Architecture; China Central Art Academy; ShenZhen University; Xiamen University; Shanghai JiaoTong University; Inner Mongolia University of Technology; Shandong Institute of Architecture and Civil Engineering; Hebei University of Technology; Southwestern Jiaotong University; North China University of Technology; Beijing University of Technology; Tianjin Institute of Urban Construction; Beijing JiaoTong University; Fuzhou University; Qingdao University of Technology
The Architect; New Architecture; Architecture & Detail; Architecture & Culture; Designer & Designing; Urbanism and Architecture (UA); Architecture Technique (AT); the Chinese Version of A+U; Urban China; archreport.com.cn; Design Community; soufun.com; focus.com; dichan.sina.com.cn; tj.sina.com.cn; ABBS; arch.liwai.com; newsccn.com; chla.com.cn; artron.net; house365.com
Jury Chairman: Bernard Tschumi, Famous Architecture Design Master, Founder of Bernard Tschumi Architects, Dean of School of Architecture, Columbia University
Executive Jury Chairman: Cui Kai, UIA Representative; Academician of the Chinese Academy of Engineering; Chinese Architecture Design Master
Zhuang Weimin Dean of School of Architecture, Tsinghua University.
Li Zhenyu, Dean of the College of Architecture and Urban Planning, Tongji University
Zhang Qi, Dean of School of Architecture, Tianjin University.
Han Dongqing, Dean of School of Architecture, Southeast University
Peng Lixiao, Chief Editor of Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine; Guest Professor of the School of Architecture, Tianjin University
Gong Jun, Executive Director; General Manager and Design Director of HYP Architectural Design Consultants, Inc.
Chairman: Kong Yuhang, Deputy Dean of the School of Architecture, Tianjin University
VII. PRIZES AND AWARDS
1st Prize (1 team)
Certificate and 100,000 RMB (approx.15,000 USD) (before tax);
2nd Prize (3 teams)
Certificate and 30,000 RMB (approx.5,000 USD) (before tax);
3rd Prize (8 teams)
Certificate and 10,000 RMB (approx. 1,700 USD) (before tax);
Honorable Mentions (20 teams)
Certificate and 6-month free subscription of UED magazine;
Advisors of prize-winning projects will also be awarded with certificates;
Prize winners will have an opportunity to intern at prestigious architectural firms through the “Learning Design with Master Architects” program.
1. This is a fair competition open to all architecture students around the globe. Full-time on-campus architecture students from accredited institutions (including graduate students and PhD candidates) can participate alone or as a team with team members of no more than four people and advisors of no more than two.
2. Only the team leader will be contacted when necessary if students participate as a team.
3. Log on http://hypcup2016.uedmagazine.net/?r=site&en=1, click “Online Registration” to fill out the registration form and submit online. Participants will get a serial number (please take care to preserve it as each participant/participating team has only one serial number). The registration concludes on June 30, 2016. It is free to register.
4. Please submit the digital version of drawings and related documents to firstname.lastname@example.org before the submission deadline. The organizing committee accepts no printed version. Entries will be printed and exhibited together in due time.
5. With the assistance of the committee, the jury will meet and decide the winners.
6. The committee will announce the winners in September 2016. In December 2016, the winning entries will be exhibited and there will be a prize-awarding ceremony early next year.
7. Inquiries related to the competition will be responded to via e-mail: email@example.com.
Registration Begins: January 16, 2016
Registration Deadline: June 30, 2016
Submission Deadline: August 31, 2016
Jury Convenes: September 2016
Results Announced: September 2016
1. Please submit the digital version of drawings and related documents to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include “competition” in the e-mail subject line. Entires will be printed and laid out by the committee.
2. Language: English
3. Scale and dimensions must be in metric units.
4. Documents: Recognizable scanned copy of passport and student card should be attached in the e-mail. Students themselves are responsible for the authenticity of the documents.
5. Entry Requirements
a. Specification: The layout of the 841mm x 594mm drawing should be horizontal. Each work should be composed of 3 drawings as follows:
b. Content: Site-plan that can fully express the design intention; plans, elevations and sections; perspective drawing, illustration and a design description of about 500 words (to be integrated in the pictures and drawings). There is no limitation on proportion.
c. A TXT document must be attached in the e-mails of the submission, which include participants’ name, registration number, e-mail address, mobile phone number, name and contact information of the advisor (if any), the full name of the school and department, title and brief introduction of the submitted work.
1. Individual participants and groups must agree with and follow the competition requirements and regulations. The organizing committee reserves its right of final interpretation.
2. Entries with words or pictures relating to the name or department of participants in the digital drawings will be disqualified from the competition.
3. All entries are accepted (while including author’s name) with the explicit free right of publication, reproduction, and promotional use by competition organizers and sponsors without need for further approvals.
4. Entries that have been submitted to other competitions, published on other public occasions or found to be similar to other works in terms of design ideas will be disqualified from the competition.
5. Any participant that contacts jurors about the competition during the entirety of the competition process will be disqualified from the competition.
Gao Fei: +86 18612727662
Luo Dan: +86 13552226334
Official Site (English): http://hypcup2016.uedmagazine.net/?r=site&en=1
TitleOpen Call: HYP Cup 2016 International Student Competition in Architectural Design
TypeCompetition Announcement (Student Competitions)
OrganizersUnion International des Architectes (UIA);Urban Environment Design (UED) Magazine
Registration Deadline30/06/2016 23:30
Submission Deadline31/08/2016 23:30