A minimal yet radical architectural strategy transforms a landmark Edwardian residence in South Rosedale. The challenge of modernizing the historically designated Street House, designed by architect William Alexander Langton for Mrs. Elenor Street in 1908, began with a single surgical gesture that unlocks the constricted formal plan to become a spatially flowing, light-filled home, suited to contemporary family life. Responding to the exceptional original detailing, two methods reconcile old and new: shearing (where old and new are juxtaposed and contrasted with sharp delineation) and co-existence (merging and co-existence of modern and historic details where historic merit calls for respectful reinstatement). Spatial Flow Fluid connectivity between rooms and floors was the ambition of a radical, surgical planimetric strategy, which overwrites a compartmentalized configuration whose servants’ quarters and formal delineation between front and back of house remained vestiges of another era.
View moreView full description