Hello Wood is an international art program, taking place in Csorompuszta, the countryside of Hungary between July 19 and July 27, 2014.All work, produced there, carries two attributes: it’s mostly from wood and it’s characterized by an interplay of art and social commitment. Hello Wood integrates various fields of art, design and science; it creates community and encourages talent. It brings together students and professionals from across borders, moreover it connects everyday people with the designer community.
This year, participants will have the opportunity to create 12 wood installations. To participate, you need to fill out the application form until May 16. The organization is also having an open call for workshop leaders.
All the information regarding the event, participation and workshop leaders after the break.
With the breakdown of universal and collective grounds, with the disappearance of religious, moral and social standards, the uniformity of benchmarks have disappeared. Parallel to this, the idea of balance, stability, and proportion have loosened up too.
The vanishment of centuries-old base points lead to the creation of new scale universes: first the small fragmented, than the one person worlds were born. The new communities are based on these single universes and the ever changing, fragile relations between them.
The uncertainty, the disproportion, the over-extensions are felt on global, social and personal levels too. There are no new, true alternatives to the existing but eroding regimes.
Our aim is to create pieces that can capture the delicate mo- ment of equilibrium by reacting on uncertainty, skepticism or disproportion; notions that can easily be translated to the language of architecture. The selected concepts will point out the nature of balance or embrace an important moment of it in a scenic and easily understandable way.
Balance is never stable. Its pulsating phenomenon can be interpreted well by the tools of design, fine arts or architecture as the effort to find steadiness is there in every moment of the process of creating. The constant disproportion is causing the balance of the art.
How Can I Participate?
1. Fill out the application form: Please register by filling out our application form.
2. Put together your application:Your application is to be handed in on-line and will consist of:
I. A motivation letterPlease tell us in 400 words (maximum) why you would like to join us and what this year’s theme "Balance” means to you. But please note that you do not have to have an installation concept or a project idea, all we are asking for is to hear your thoughts about the theme, to see why you relate to it, what you find interesting in it.
II. A Portfolio of your previous workAs a general rule, it does not have to be directly linked to what we do at Hello Wood, but some experience with the workshop’s focus is usually very welcome. Please prepare a pdf document in an A3 format, not larger than 20 mB.
Important: Please join these 2 files (motivation letter + portfolio) into 1 pdf ! The name of the file should be: firstname_surname_application.pdf and send it to email@example.com until the 16th of May 2014 midnight! All applications will be evaluated by the 21st of May 2014. We will inform you of the results via email with all further information.
Why Do I Need To Apply?
- Because our spaces are limited, we can only welcome 100 participants.
- So you can work and get inspired in the best groups.
- So the workshop leaders get to know your previous projects on time.
- So we can ensure the same conditions for all our applicants.
What Does Hello Wood Offer?
- Acclaimed workshop leaders selected from the Hungarian and International architecture and design scene, who prepare concepts which will come true with your participation!
- The artworks’ publishing in local and International press releases
- Work equipment and infrastructure for your team during the workshop
- 2 m3 planed wood with custom cross-section for each group
- Full board accomodation (daily 3 meals included)
- High professional standards giving you an extraordinary project to your portfolio and improving your professional skills
- Unforgettable Wood feeling and a social experience you’ll never forget!
What Is New In 2014?
- Based on your feedback, this year the camp will be 2 days longer, this way teams will have more time to work on the the concept, design and the finalisation of the installation together, in a team.
- This year we expect an even more intense international cooperation with highly experienced, reknown professionals. We believe this is important, because this way your social, professional network can grow stronger, you can meet young, talented experts who teach at architect and design universities from all over the world.
- In 2014, Hello Wood is officially part of the Valley of Arts cultural festival (july 25 - August 10), attracting 80,000 visitors yearly. The Hello Wood projects will be exhibited and accessible for festival visitors.
- Accordingly, in the last 2 days of the art camp (26-27 july), Hello Wood will be a real festival location with concerts, presentations and other cultural events.
What About The Team?
Hello Wood’s installations will be realized by groups of approximately 8 architect, designer and artist students. every team will have a workshop leader who is responsible for the concept and makes sure everything goes the way it was planed. each team works on their own project, their own artwork to be created. As the camp’s possibilities are limited, just the really unique installations can be implemented. Therefor, workshop leaders will be selected through an open call also because we would like to create the best concepts, and to provide equal conditions for all creatives. All winner workshop concepts will be public and sent to you, so if you are selected you can choose the project you want to work on during Hello Wood art camp.
In case you are accepted, you will be asked to choose a project and pay your participation fee, which is 200 Eur. (excl. travel expenses). If you are a citizen of the eastern european region, your participation fee is 135 Eur. The participation fee includes accomodation and daily 3 meals.
Since 2013, we offer a scholarship based on financial need. Those who are awarded pay a reduced participation fee, 50% of the standard fee. This year we have 10 scholarship openings. To apply, all you need to do is send us an official document from your university, that proves you were eligible to apply for the university’s scholarships based on financial need.
Important: You do not need to send us the entire documentation, just a certificate, that proves you have handed in all requried documents to the university you are attending. scholarships are awarded based on financial need and the applicant’s portfolio. Please note: International students are also eligible and encouraged to apply.
What We Offer?
- For every workshop’s leaders (maximum 2 leaders) we provide free accommodation and daily 3 meals. (For international workshop leaders we cannot guarantee the covering of travel expenses at the moment, but we are constantly working on finding solutions for the funding of these costs)
- Work equipment for your team during the workshop
- 2m3 planed wood with custom cross-section for each group
- 8 architect students
- The artworks’ publishing in local and international press releases
- Artworks presented at sziget Festival Budapest
- Exhibition at the Budapest Design Week
- Printed and online material about the installations will be available also in the Hungarian Pavilion of the Venice Biennale.
What We Expect?
- A brief about the concept (max 1 page), describing an issue you find important/interesting and your planned approach to it.
- A summary about the feasibility of the concept, what kind of equipments and materials you need to make it, about it’s safe use, and the cost of operation and maintenance (max 1 page).
- Illustration, some sketches about the concept.
- Based on our experiences, in order to prepare everything and order the desired material on time, it is important that your concept is well developed when you apply. However, the art camp is 2 days longer this year, because we want to make sure you have enough time to finalise the concept with your group in a creative team work. This requires a sense of pedagogy from workshop leaders, which results in even more enthusiastic, dinamic teamwork.