Newcastle Museum consists of a series of revitalised “turn of the Century” industrial brick railway workshop buildings - Blacksmith’s and Wheel Shop (1880), Locomotive Boiler Shop (1887), and New Erecting Shop (1920) located within the urban waterfront regeneration precinct of Honeysuckle. The challenge was to provide a linkage element to not only create a new sense of identity for the heritage structures and to provide an visually and physically accessible entrance to the three buildings, but to also upgrade them to accommodate a national standard museum and associated support requirements, without diminishing the integrity of the existing fabric. The new building elements are conceived as a series of floating cloud like roof forms that hover in-between the heavy masonry of the existing workshops. These white cloud-like forms draw in natural light, shade and protect visitors and exhibits, while also creating a new sense of entry and central orientation for the Museum circulation.
View moreView full description