Architects: office dA
Location: South Boston, Massachusetts, USA
Architect of Record: Burt Hill
Principals in Charge: Monica Ponce de Leon, Nader Tehrani
Project Architect: Dan Gallagher
Project Manager: Lisa Huang
Project Team: Ghazal Abassy, Remon Alberts, Hansy Luz Better, Scott Ewart, Katja Gischas, Anna Goodman, David Jeffries, Krists Karklins, Ethan Kushner, Christine Mueller, Julian Palacio, Penn Ruderman, Ahmad Reza Schricker, Harry Lowd
Project Area: 32,516 sqm
Project year: 2002-2007
Photographs: John Horner Photography
As a pivotal building in the urban revitalization of South Boston, the Macallen Building’s design requires a reassessment of conventional residential typologies to produce an innovative building that works within a developer’s financially competitive budget. Occupying a transitional site that mediates between highway off-ramps, an old residential fabric, and an industrial zone, the building negotiates different scales and urban configurations. The design addresses two scales and the different edge conditions of the surrounding context through varied spatial conditions, various ways of reacting to the public sphere, and accompanying material and façade articulations to reinforce the scales of interaction.
On the western end, the building responds to the highway with a curtain wall yielding panoramic views for the residents inside the building. On the eastern end, brickwork mirrors that of the residential building fabric, extending the logic of the storefront and pedestrian scale elements on that facade. On the north and south facades, bronzed aluminum panels reflect the industrial neighborhood component and express the structural system organization. Additionally, the Macallen building was designed from the ground up to take advantage of “green” building techniques and materials. It is the first LEED certified building of its type in Boston.
This was a charged and difficult urban site between a historic neighborhood, an industrial wasteland, and an infrastructural interchange. The scale and scope of the project was substantial and demonstrates Office dA’s ability to work within the complex process of gaining public approval for a project. This design received LEED Gold certification and is a hallmark of Office dA’s experience in advancing and promoting sustainability.
Products in this project
- Caravelle Dual Flush High Efficiency Toilet by Caroma
Construction materials, Semi-finished materials: Hardstone, Deitrich, Titebond, A. Jandris And Sons, Viracon, Aggregate Industries, Environ Biocomposites Mfg, LLC , Endicott Clay Products
- Recycled Granite Composite Countertops by Hardstone
- Wood/Metal Studs by Deitrich
- Melamine Glue Core Material by Titebond
- Concrete Masonry Unit by A. Jandris And Sons
- Glazing glass by Viracon
- Concrete by Aggregate Industries
- Wood Glue by Environ Biocomposites Mfg, LLC
- Manganese Smooth Ironspot Norman Size Type FBX by Endicott Clay Products
- Metal/glass curtainwall by Vistawall
- Tile by Graniti Fiandre
- Linoleum Etrusco by Tarkett
- Veneer by Brookside Veneers Ltd.
- Peto II by Shaw Floors
- Bamboo Flooring by Bamboo Flooring
- MCCB-1 Air Handler, Energy Recovery Unit by Trane
- Water treatment technology for Cooling Towers by Dolphin Clearwater Systems LLC
- Retractable Roof Fabricator by OpenAire, Inc.
- Doors fabricator by Marshfield Door Systems, Inc.
- Downlights: H5T-5020H by Halo
- Exterior: L-017 by Beachside
- Downlights: H1499T-1419P by Halo
- Florescent indoor wall lighting (on motion sensors) by Flos
- Downlights: 1004ICN-11772 by Lightolier
- Lay-in Ceiling Panels in Corridors by Tectum, Inc
- Sloped roofing by American Hydrotech, Inc.
- Gen2 Elevator System by Otis
- Structural system by Cives Steel Company
- Pure Performance Flat Latex 9-100 by PPG
- Pitt-glaze Water Based Epoxy 16-551 by PPG
- Grasscloth Wallcovering by Donghia
- Cork #2954 by Innovations in Wallcoverings, Inc.
- Tile by Sainte Agostino
- Cork #2964 by Innovations in Wallcoverings, Inc.
- Tile by Dal Tile
- Pure Performance Semi-Gloss Latex 9-500 by PPG
- Pitt-tech Primer 90-715 by PPG
- Cork #2963 by Innovations in Wallcoverings, Inc.
- Cork #2965 by Innovations in Wallcoverings, Inc.