To avoid hyperrealistic renderings we have witnessed the emergence of other options for architectural representation which seduce the viewer, not for their overwhelming resemblance to reality but rather the opposite, its resemblance to everyday life's textures presented through unpretentious drawings inspired by collage, watercolor, and painting. Digital collage and other similar representation tools have gained more popularity when discussing how architecture can be communicated.
Latest projects in Portugal
Latest news in Portugal
The architectural approach of 2011 Pritzker Prize-winner Eduardo Souto de Moura can be difficult to summarize. His convictions on matters of aesthetics and design are strongly held, but also highly individual and at times even unusual. In his work, this translates to buildings that are enigmatic, yet not flashy—in the words of the 2011 Pritzker Prize jury, “His buildings have a unique ability to convey seemingly conflicting characteristics—power and modesty, bravado and subtlety, bold public authority and sense of intimacy—at the same time.” In the latest interview from his “City of Ideas” series, Vladimir Belogolovsky speaks to Souto de Moura to probe his architectural mind and understand the thinking behind these powerful yet modest works.
This week, the Portuguese center for architecture Casa da Arquitectura (House of Architecture) celebrates the opening of its new premises in Matosinhos, Porto. In order to mark the occasion, the architecture museum has planned three days full of activities from the 17th to the 19th of November, with guided tours, performance, talks, music and films.
Housing is certainly one of the most interesting themes that present itself to the architect, after all designing a residence allows the study of the usage and customs of human beings according to their culture, desires and daily life. Each project brings a new customer and, with it, an unprecedented challenge.
During an interview with Portuguese newspaper Diário de Notícias, Pritzker Prize laureate Eduardo Souto de Moura spoke to Ana Sousa Dias about his path through the Fine Arts School, his work alongside Noé Diniz and Álvaro Siza, and his consolidated international career – which he says has given him projects, but not pleasure.
Architectural Adventures, a travel program from the American Institute of Architects (AIA), is the premier travel provider for architecture, art, and photography enthusiasts, as well as intellectually curious travelers. The program offers a variety of small-group tours specializing in the exploration and appreciation of some of the world’s most remarkable architecture, all while enjoying a destination’s culture, food, and traditions.
Eduardo Souto de Moura (born 25 July 1952), the Portuguese architect that won the 2011 Pritzker Prize, is known for designs that are formally simple yet serious and at times, dramatic, created through his thoughtful use of colors and materials. His architecture is both versatile and consistent, contextual yet universal, and rarely affected by current trends or styles.
The strategic definition of a new cruise terminal had a double objective: improvement of the commercial efficiency and a better urban integration. In this photoset, Fernando Guerra captures the many sides of the Leixões Cruise Terminal, a project that won the 2017 Building of the Year Awards in the "Public Architecture" category.
Loading... It could take a few seconds
Popular categories in Portugal
- Shelter in Montaria / Carvalho Araújo
- Padre Botte House / CNLL
- House in Salineiras / RVdM Arquitectos
- House in Falcoeiras / RVdM Arquitectos
- Paramos House / Atelier Nuno Lacerda Lopes See all »
- Boavista School / José Marini Bragança
- Apartment Rehabilitation in Lisbon / Bruno Pica & Carla Pica
- House In Rua do Paraíso / fala atelier
- Graham’s 1890 Lodge Rehabilitation / Luis Loureiro + P-06 – Nuno Gusmão
- House Rehabilitation in Oreiras / Ventura Trindade Arquitectos See all »
- Day Care and Elderly Residential Centre / CVDB arquitectos
- Lisbon Stone Block / Alberto de Souza Oliveira
- Palma Apartment / Pedra Silva Architects
- Del Mar Village Condominium / Saraiva + Associados
- Housing In Aveiro / RVDM See all »
- Companies Incubator / Contemporânea
- Logistics Complex of SIC Network in Carnaxide / Marco Rocha
- More Photographs of Eduardo Souto de Moura's Burgo Tower / 2011 Pritzker laureate Eduardo Souto de Moura.
- Office Park Expo / NLA - Nuno Leónidas Arquitectos
- Tower Plaza / Regino Cruz Architects See all »