UseRainscreen Facade System
ApplicationsInstitutional, Commercial, Residential buildings
CharacteristicsOpen joints, energy efficient, low maintenance, durable, easy installation
Guarantee10 year Guarantee
Shildan Group Curved Terracotta Elements add a beauty and elegance to the façade while pushing the limits of this earth-fired material. Curved panels require early design collaboration to develop and engineer the panels and systems necessary to create seamless movement across the façade.
The collection includes cast, rounded-corner, scalloped, and curved baguette panels. The panels can be installed using Shildan’s aluminum support system, which includes 62% recycled material.
Advantages of the Rainscreen System
- The Open Joints - The Terracotta Rainscreen system allows air to circulate behind the panels to provide pressure equalization, preventing water from being drawn into the building. Additionally, a vapor barrier on the outside face of the back-up wall acts as a final air and water barrier.
- No Grout or Sealants - The ventilated Terracotta Rainscreen system keeps your building dry and protected from the worst weather conditions without the use of grout or sealants and without any need for maintenance. This includes positive and negative wind loads, as well as seismic, thermal, and normal movement.
- Energy Saving - By locating the insulation outside the air/vapor barrier, the condensation is continually evaporating due to air movement. The result is a 50 percent higher insulation value which reduces energy consumption, resulting in healthy wall construction as well as substantially improved comfort and productivity for the occupants. Since this virtually eliminates air filtration and exfiltration, the HVAC system can be substantially reduced, perhaps by one-third.
- No Maintenance - The terracotta panels do not have calcium leakage or efflorescence effect and can be simply cleaned with water, requiring little or no maintenance.
- No Mold or Mildew - The natural ventilation prevents any mold or mildew from growing inside the wall. Shildan can provide a 100-year facade, even with steel stud construction.
- Sustainable Design - 80 year-plus life expectancy, with a naturally ventilated wall cavity, helps to eliminate the potential for “sick building syndrome” common to closed cavity walls. All materials fully recyclable.
- Ten Year Guarantee - The full system is factory guaranteed for ten years.
- Perfect for Coastal Environments - All materials of the system are non-fading and resistant to frost, corrosion, salt water and other aggressive substances. Magnesium alloy aluminum support structures are used in shipbuilding.
- Replacement of damaged tile - If one needs to be replaced, it can easily be replaced without harming the others.
- All year installation - The system can be installed in almost all weather conditions